1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does anyone know anything about workers comp?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by lengel, Nov 30, 2009.

1. lengel

lengel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    DH broke his leg in the office parking lot and they stopped his paycheck. I think they are trying to put him on workers comp. He has plenty of vacation and sick time so I don't understand why. Can someone explain why they would do this instead of letting him use up his benefits and work from home? How much will he get? He was already scheduled for vacation, so I don't get this at all.

I'm freaking out.

2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    I know i am in canada but i really cant see the laws being very different...

I fell and broke my ankle last winter in the parking lot of the nirsing home I worked for. I was told because I had not punched in I was not on the clock so comp would not pay out, I had to get a lawyer and have the lawyer write a nasty letter to my employer and threaten to sue because they are the owners of the property and failed to keep it free from snow and ice. The employer settled very easy I got 2 weeks pay out of the deal plus extended vacation allowance.

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

It's because he was injured on their property! Don't worry about it! WC pays better and he can keep his vacation and sick time. Seriously - the company asked for it, not him. And we do that all the time when someone gets injured on the property. It is a safety net for YOU and THEM.

4. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    take the comp. i dislocated my shoulder last Feb ( I fell out of my bus, but because I was on company time it was covered ) and was off 9 weeks, you should get a full pay check and your employer is paying for the insurance. Its covers you and them for unexpected thing that might come up

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  5. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    i don't get this at all either. i would think they couldn't legally stop his paychecks for the times he is already owed for work weeks done.

when i had hurt my back while at work i was told that if i had been out of work for 3 days that the benifits would 'kick in' and any expenses should be covered by the benefit company that was responsible for that stuff-its a retroactive thing. any PT or OT that was involved with the issue and any mileage to and from the rehab would be covered. but this was back in 2005 and i am not sure what your dh's company policy might be.

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Chickie'sMoma :

i don't get this at all either. i would think they couldn't legally stop his paychecks for the times he is already owed for work weeks done.

when i had hurt my back while at work i was told that if i had been out of work for 3 days that the benifits would 'kick in' and any expenses should be covered by the benefit company that was responsible for that stuff-its a retroactive thing. any PT or OT that was involved with the issue and any mileage to and from the rehab would be covered. but this was back in 2005 and i am not sure what your dh's company policy might be.

Worker's Comp pays his full salary without him having to use his vacation and sick time.​

7. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Call a lawyer that deals in that sorta thing. That way you know you have covered all your bases. Its hard to put a price an a good nights sleep.

8. lengel

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    Chickie'sMoma :

He fell two days before he went on vacation. They stopped his pay as of that afternoon. But that means that he doesn't get his money this Friday which I just found out by logging into the payroll website. Good thing I did because I schedule everything through the internet and I need to change money around accounts. Nobody said anything or told us. I called DH at rehab and woke him up so that we could see if he was still employed by logging into his proprietary employee account. Looks like he still is but sheesh - they could have told us he wasn't getting paid this week.​

9. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Sometimes there is a lag time.
    The work comp will pick up on the day he was injured.

He will get paid back to his last day before getting hurt, the paperwork needs to go through.

Work comp is to your benefit. It means all his injuries are fully covered. Nothing out of pocket to you and usually it is not taxable. His benefit might be 80% of his regular pay, but again, not taxable, so it is about the same.

All this depends on your state's laws of course. [​IMG]

10. lengel

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    Quote:We screwed up then. The rehab place doesn't take workers comp. We didn't think it was a possibility so we went with them because they are the best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by