Does anyone know how this chicken died?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Casper101Popcor, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Casper101Popcor

Casper101Popcor Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello! So recently I had to give my two chickens away since we are moving next week. We gave them to a very nice family who we knew would take good care of them. Casper(the younger hen, about 1yr old) was perfectly fine with the move and started laying eggs about two days after the move. Sadly, the older one (Jupiter) died the first night there. This is where I'm confused. We got her from a man we gave our rooster to. We do/did not know her breed or age, or anything else(she was not laying eggs). She was kinda scruffy. So about five days before we gave them away, Jupiter started having very watery poops. We did not notice it until a couple days later, and we thought she was just very thirsty (since it is summer here). We really did not know what to do(I feel bad about this), and we were already busy with the move. And another thing, she was starting to have featherless patches. So the people came and took them, but a little less than a week after the family notified us Jupiter did not make :( I really want to know what could've happened. I am very sad about it and I feel like her blood is on my hands, since I really did not do much about it. Do you guys know? What is an illness?

2. Casper101Popcor

??

3. jacobhawaiifarm

jacobhawaiifarm Just Hatched

Jun 11, 2016
    Honolulu hawaii
    Was the chicken eating the whole time? or it stop eating?

4. Casper101Popcor

She was eating, that was one thing I watched. She was with her buddy pecking along the ground most of the time

5. jacobhawaiifarm

jacobhawaiifarm Just Hatched

Jun 11, 2016
    Honolulu hawaii
    i am not sure....but it could be sudden death syndrome.

It is more common in broiler chickens since they grow so fast
    but it happens to all chickens.

Usually SDS, just happen so quickly in healthy looking birds with no real explanation.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

She could have been molting and needed extra protein, had egg yolk peritonitis or any number of things. She could have had a bad case of lice/mites and needed treatment or some extra attention to find out what was wrong with her. Can't tell you for sure, but seems she did need some treatment. You didn't say how old she was, what breed and if she was out of hatchery stock, which tends to make a difference.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  7. Casper101Popcor

Well, you see, we got her from a man after we gave our rooster away so our younger hen wasn't lonely. He didn't even know her breed or age(he is kind like a chicken rescuer, he took in chickens). I actually knew nothing about her. We had for(sorry I didn't mention this) 5-6 months before we gave her and Casper away. She was kinda scruffy in the beginning, and we thought it was molt, but apparently is lasted for the whole time we had her. It really wasn't that bad, it got bad towards the end. She was acting perfectly fine.

8. speckledhen

Not knowing her history and getting her from a chicken "rescuer"/trader, she could have had a disease or been infested with lice/mites. Those will cause feather loss and anemia and death if not treated. If you get chickens again, stay away from the "rescuers" and traders. Those folks are great disease spreaders.

9. Casper101Popcor

Okay, thank you :) In the next few years we're probably going to get chickens again, and from a breeder.

10. speckledhen

[​IMG] Do your homework on diseases, etc, beforehand, and you'll be fine. Just stick around here and you'll learn a ton!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by