Does anyone know how to cure or treat conjunctivitis?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jamave, May 13, 2010.

1. jamave

jamave New Egg

May 13, 2010
    My chickens' eyes look very funny. The closest thing to their symptoms that I can find is conjunctivitis. All birds are one year old or less. Rooster's eyes are shut and he is hunched with his tail feathers on the ground. ISeveral hens' eyes look strange and one hen is now hunching as well. I'm fairly new to raising chickens and I don't know what to do. Tried to visit the farm vet this afternoon and he is on vacation. I gave them medicated chick food tonight and also put dewormer in their water. I separated the "hunching" birds. Do you know what else I can do?

Thanks to all for any advice!

2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    First off, I wouldn't give them medicated chick feed or wormer since those treatments aren't likely to help with the problem they have with their eyes. Worming can be stressful for a bird, and you don't want to add stress to an animal that's already sick with something else.

Can you post a picture? Do you notice any other symptoms, such as wheezing breath or sneezing?

3. jamave

jamave New Egg

May 13, 2010
    Thanks for responding.

The eyes were the first thing I noticed. Then the hunching. Now my rooster has green diarrhea.
    I haven't noticed that in any other birds. No runny nose, no mites that I can detect.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by