does anyone know how to make a new addition less scared/stressed?PICS!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by thechickenguy, Aug 5, 2010.

1. thechickenguy

thechickenguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    woodsfield ohio 43793
    i got a mallardX drake today for my lonley female whos buddies got killed and the drake is so scared out of his mind that he dont know what to do. the cage he is in is farley dark(closed in on all sides but the front) and he has food and water. he came from a good friend of mine who had a 5 1/2 acre pond and now hes in a cage till im sure he dont run off. as soon as he sees me he puffs out his feathers,puts his hard down,and looks like hes breathing so hard its like hes humming!

what can i do for him. please help me!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  2. HottentotTeal

HottentotTeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    When i bought my 2 ducks a few months ago, they didn't eat much and were pretty freightened for several days. It took about 4 or 5 days, maybe longer, before they actually started getting used to their new surroundings and began eating.

How long have you had him?

3. thechickenguy

Jun 15, 2010
    woodsfield ohio 43793
    about 3 1/2 hours. i actually already saw him eat and drink. i think thats because i had him in a cage for 2 days at my friends house and he was to scared to eat or drink and he was just reallly thirsty and hungry today. i have a female already, do you think it would be OK to put her in with him. he is not sick at all. totally 100% disease free. so im not worried about her getting sick but do you think that would calm him down a notch?

4. jrobertson

jrobertson Robertson's Rare Poultry

Apr 24, 2010
    NW Alabama
    ducks are flock birds even though they usually pair up for life in the wild. the drake would probably calm down if you put the hen in there with him after, of course, the pecking order battle. ducks dont really like being alone, but also if he was allowed to free range on that large of a lake, and hasnt had any human interactment, that maybe the cause for the overly-defensive drake.

5. thechickenguy

Jun 15, 2010
    woodsfield ohio 43793
    so your saying they will fight in there if i put her in there with him??????????????????????????????????. i mean hes soooooooo scared its not even funny. im about to post pictures when they upload so you can see what he does when i put my head or hand or something in there. he dont seem aggressive. i picked him up out of the cage he just lowers his head and runs away scared in the cage. trying to get away. he flaps his wings aloT!!!!
    and no he hasnt had ANY human contact at all. pretty much completely wild. gets fed in the mornings at my friends house but has never been touched except for when they were brought to my friends house and when i caught him 2 days ago.

6. thechickenguy

Jun 15, 2010
    woodsfield ohio 43793
    spazzy hiding in the corner when i opened the door
    [​IMG]

spazzy when i put the camera in the cage
    [​IMG]

his pretty girl friend
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. jrobertson

jrobertson Robertson's Rare Poultry

Apr 24, 2010
    NW Alabama
    i would say the lack of contact is the problem. you'll have to give him time to settle down and become accustomed to things. yes. usually when you put new ducks together there will be a little bit of scuffling but most of the time it is harmless. your best bet would be to place them together so he can bond with the hen and become buddies. that way when you let them out, he won't leave her side. you may get lucky and they not fight at all. but its obvious from the pics that he isn't used to a cage of any sorts. good luck.

8. mama2many

mama2many Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    I say put them together and watch. If there are any problems you can jump in there. He may just be freaked out, he is very pretty though. He's just having a hard time. Let him get used to her and then after a couple of days he could be released with her and be ok. I wish you luck and your lady duck. She's probably pretty stressed out too, being all alone herself. :)

9. thechickenguy

Jun 15, 2010
    woodsfield ohio 43793
    ok. in the morning ill put em together and see what happens. mama2many i dont think my female cares. she is soo tame. she dont let me catch her but lets me walk up to her a little bit. comes when i say"weres my duck" she quacks and comes running and gets rite in with the chickens at feeding time.

jrobertson ---no he sure aint used to any cagge.

10. thechickenguy

Jun 15, 2010
    woodsfield ohio 43793
    just to let everyone know who has posted on this and knows about him he has calmed down a bit today and i put the female in there this morning. he bites at her VERY LITTLE and when i stick my face/head in the cage to see how hes doing he gets in front of me and her. its good to know that they might bond. how long do you think until they will not leave eachothers sidE?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by