Does anyone know how to make an incubator easy enough for kids to make

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by birdsofthefarm, Aug 5, 2009.

1. birdsofthefarm

birdsofthefarm Songster

Jul 28, 2009
    Grayson County, TX
    Does anyone know how to make an incubator easy enough for kids to make?

2. birdsofthefarm

birdsofthefarm Songster

Jul 28, 2009
    Grayson County, TX
    Please, anyone???!!!!

3. LindseyM12

LindseyM12 Songster

May 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    OK here we go, First get a styrofoam cooler.Get a light socket and use a pen and draw a circle around the light socket on the cooler. take a knife and cut out the circle. get some carpenders glue and put it around the socket and place it in the circle you cut. find a old picture frame and take the glass out of it and trace around it where ever you want a window, leave about 2 inches to glue it on to the cooler. get a SMALL thermomiter and take it and put it in the cooler. you can get some kind of contaner and put paper towel in it. Hope it helps!

4. TexasVet

TexasVet Songster

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
  5. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    I never knew that.

6. AK Michelle

AK Michelle Bad Girl of the North

Mar 17, 2009
    Palmer, Alaska
    I made a miss prissy bator, see my page for directions. My 9 yr old son helped. He did the wiring (yes it's THAT easy) I just told him which to put where and showed him how and supervised to be sure he got the connections right.

You should have seen the look on his face when the eggs hatched in HIS bator. [​IMG]

7. Chotii

Chotii Songster

I'm very fond of the one I posted on Instructables - it takes time of course, and you'll want to supervise the use of knives etc., but I've literally broken it down step by step, with lots of photographs for every step (where required).

Also, I found it to work perfectly well - just hatched out a clutch of chicks in it. Price for all pieces (considering I was able to scavenge some of them): about $35.

8. vkp23

vkp23 Songster

Jul 10, 2009
    My house
    Rubber maid box and shop lights. Thermo/hydro so you can play with lighting to see what watt you need. I have a 40 over the eggs and a 60 over the water bowls. I made a little cotton ball nest since the box is not insulated. used a battery operated fan for if/when temps got a tiny bit high and used a picture frame glass to cover the far end hole.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I call it the "poor mans 'bator"

9. 2txmedics

2txmedics Songster

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    Maybe poor mans...but I like it!!!! how many hatches have you had with it, and the lights are what gives it the heat??? can you explain it in detail...Im a chicken dummy ...very new to chickens...24wks ago I got 3 day olders...now there laying...here I sit 3 coops in 24wks...and hatching tonight for my first time!!!!

[​IMG] but I like poor mans, or FREEBIES...finding nest boxes etc...fencing our coops are made out of old fence that the hurricane threw down last yr.....

10. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Songster

Question: "Does anyone know how to make an incubator easy enough for kids to make?"

Answers:

1.) Well, YES ! But it does depend somewhat on the age and experience of the "kid". Most boys can make most incubators by the time they are 6 or 7 years old . Girls can do it sooner.

2.) IF the "kid" is a "teenager", NOPE! Teenagers are incapable of doing anything other than "picking their nose", "combing their hair" and being "obstinate". FORGET IT !!!

IF your "significant other" is the "kid", it will require some sort of "bribery" or "clandestine-dealings" to get him/her to decide it is "their idea" to do such a stupid thing as this!

just WISDOM from an old man.......[​IMG]

-Junkmanme- [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: