Does anyone know how to sex a guinea fowl?

Sphynxii

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 21, 2013
I have four guinea fowl and they all look the same. :O Im so confused the only differences there are is, one is white, and one has a hint of purple around its neck other than that they all look and sound the same help!

Mine said Buckweat..... The males or cocks will carry themselves a little more upright. And they NEVER say Buckwheat. Once they are past their first mating season they get much quieter. So you have to listen and observe which one is saying it.

Then to keep track of who is who the next deal is to band them boy girl..... Now THAT is an adventure.....
gig.gif

deb

I was told the dangly things on their faces are larger on males than females. After observing mine, the ones who make the double syllable calls all have smaller dangly things (sorry, I don't know what they are called lol) and the one who sound kind of like a chain saw or weed eater have larger dangly things. But I don't know if that is true or not.

I was told the dangly things on their faces are larger on males than females. After observing mine, the ones who make the double syllable calls all have smaller dangly things (sorry, I don't know what they are called lol) and the one who sound kind of like a chain saw or weed eater have larger dangly things. But I don't know if that is true or not.
Yep the Wattles are supposedly larger and more colorful on males. If you are going with the Standards of Perfection they use at shows. But I had a female that had the largest ones.... and a male that had one large one and one small one.... LOL.

I think too especially at one year and younger its hardest to really see differences. Tried and true though is the call. Though I did have one bird that NEVER opened His or her mouth..... While all the rest were either screaming or buckweating at me he/she would just stand there and stare.... Or run and fly with the rest. Its name was Pat.

For what its worth when I was brooding up forty keets in the garage I heard lots of peep sounds..... and quite a few PeepPeep sounds. So I suspect if you were to sort em then youd have them sexed at about two weeks within about five percent....

deb

Thankyou so much! will the males fight with the others because as far as im aware i have 2 males.

Back
Top Bottom