Does anyone know how to tell a male from a female guinea?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by BettyR, Aug 8, 2008.

1. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    I have 8 guineas that are 10 weeks old and they all look the same to me. How do you tell which are males and which are females?

2. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    Males get a larger helmet and sideburn things (they aren't waddles, I can't remember what they're called, lol) if youdon't see any difference yet, keep watching. before too much longer you should start to see the difference. You could also google for pictures of guinnea cock and pictures of guinea hens. Alternatively, you might be able to doa search in these pages and find pictures of people's guineas and tell that way. Good luck!

3. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I couldn't tell by looking at them but my girls started their "buckwheat" call by the time they were 8 weeks old.

4. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Those "side burn things" aren't waddles but they are wattles. Waddle is what ducks do!
    The females make a sound that many people hear as "Buckwheat". The males do not make this sound but simply squawk. If you watch and listen you should be able to identify the females by the sound.
    The visual differences are as described in the other post but they can be subtle.

5. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Thanks for the help; they do make a lot of noise.

I’ll have to go sit out there and see if I can tell which ones are making all the noise.

6. mommy9994

mommy9994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    central VA
    I don't get the whole "buckwheat" thing-- doesn't sound like it to me. The girls do have a 2 syllable sound, and the guys a 1 syllable squawk.

7. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by