Does anyone know how to tell the age of chicks? PICS!!

mrshollyp

Hatching
11 Years
Mar 8, 2008
Hi,
I am a first time chick owner and I am not sure how old my chicks are.

I bought them from a farm store on March 5th, so I have had them a little over a week, but I don't know how old they were when I bought them.

I bought 2 Rhode Island Reds on March 5th and loved them so much I went back for two more (this time the box said Buff Orphingtons) on the 9th.

They have different levels of feathering so I am not sure. I have searched the internet and can find no pictures of chicks at certain ages.

Any help?

1001446ud2.jpg

1001448qd6.jpg

1001449oa9.jpg

1001443ax6.jpg

1001444ot2.jpg

Last edited:

hinkjc

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
PA
Yup..I was going to say about 2 weeks old.
smile.png
Very cute too.

Jody

Loghousemom

Songster
7 Years
Mar 17, 2012
Up North
Wow! So it doesn't take long for them to feather out at all!

I was thinking mine were this age too, but their wings are not quite as feathered.... But the tails look the same.

newbey

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 29, 2012
Hi, I'm new at this chicken adventure myself. BUT from the pictures you have posted I too would agree about 2 weeks. I have 5 chicks that hatched 1 week ago yesterday, 12-3-12
and they have feathers just not quite as many as yours has.
On another note, in the brooder I used wee wee puppy pads. They work Fantastic!
The first day that's what they walked on and no Spray Leg. Then from the second day till the 4th I just put in a little Pine Shavings. And Now I have about 2 inches down BUT I have the wee wee pads under it and it is easy to clean!!! I put down about 15 layers so it will be easy to clean until they move up to the bigger brooder.
I wish you luck in your new adventure! I am sure enjoying it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mtnviewfarms

Songster
9 Years
Jan 30, 2011
North GA Mountains - Ellijay
they are adorable chicks and i agree, about 2 weeks old in the pix. i have 40 week and a half old 'rainbow pullets' from Meyer Hatchery and they
are just now 'sprouting' as i like to call it, their tiny tails - this is my favorite part - don't know why but those itty bitty tails starting out are the cutest thing!
I love Meyers' 'Rainbow Pullet Assortment' because it includes breeds I either have and want more of or breeds i've been wanting to try out. I got lots of
EEs, BOs, White Leghorns, Australorps, BRs and I 'think' a couple of RIRs.

lhammond

Chirping
Apr 5, 2015
HI

I am having the same problem. I just bought mine on April 4 (12 chicks) and am trying to find out too. Mine look a little older than yours. Any luck finding out?

Top Bottom