Does anyone know if a roosters spurs are painful?

Do you mean getting attacked with one or painful for the rooster? If you mean getting attacked with them, it depends on how hard he comes at you and some roosters have sharper spurs than others (one of my older, more aggressive roosters has actually drawn blood before). For the rooster, it's probably like growing a toenail or something like that.

No, I meant for the rooster. Like if they grow real long. Or when they get splintered or cut.

Does anyone know if a roosters spurs are painful?
Only if the spurs are really really long and the rooster forgets and sets down on them.
gig.gif

Seriously, spurs are like finger nails. There is a quick at the base that has a blood supply direct from the birds' body and it grows from the quick on the foot or shank outward. If you cut too much spur off and cut into this quick or living part of the spur it may be painful. Out of 1,000s of spurs I have cut or seen cut, I never saw a rooster display any real signs of pain, but I have seen them fidget and display mucho displeasure at being held in an uncomfortable position long enough to get the job done and I do strongly suspect that the sawing vibrations trimming a spur makes, may tickle. If the spur has any real sensation in it I hardly think that a rooster would be willing to use his spurs to protect the flock from predators, himself from rivals, or use them to attack his meal ticket.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom