Does anyone know much about Brahmas?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by feathers_3, Apr 11, 2012.

1. feathers_3

feathers_3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Eastern NC
    I have a 1 year old Brahma hen, who I believe is egg bound. Does anyone know if Brahmas are associated with egg laying issues?

I'm trying to see what I'm up against.

Thanks!!

2. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    What is she doing that makes you think she is egg bound? I believe all breeds of chickens can develop the problem at times, but just in my experience, it usually happens in younger birds. Does she have a bulge by her vent? Can you feel an egg in there? I suppose the weird weather we are having could attribute to some problems, though luckily, I've not had them since the one pullet. Is she eating and drinking? I brought my pullet inside and kept her warm, and made sure she got a water dose every hour or so, mixed with vitamins and electrolytes. She pecked at some yogurt mixed with her feed, but she acted like she had a belly ache. This was late in the day, and I figured if she hadn't passed the egg by morning, I would put her in a tub of warm water and let her soak for awhile. The heat and humidity from the bath tends to loosen things up so she can pass the egg. Mine didn't need it, she laid her egg first thing in the morning, and was chomping at the bit to go back outside! Good luck.

3. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Is she just not laying? Maybe she has a secret nest and she is going broody.

4. feathers_3

feathers_3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Eastern NC
    She was not walking around, eating or drinking. Her vent was bulging and she was pushing like she was trying to lay. I gave her a warm bath and massaged her belly last night and she is much better this afternoon. She has been walking around a little and she did eat some, but I haven't seen her drink any water. She is only a year old and has only laid about 3 eggs (ever), where my other hens her age lay a egg every day. Her tail is not pointing down anymore either but is not perky like it should be. Her belly did feel kinda swollen but I couldn't feel anything that I thought was an egg. She did lay an egg a couple days ago with the membrane (the little layer between the shell and the actual egg, idk if membrane is the right word) on the outside of the shell. And the other few times that she has laid they have been very small. I have a Brahma rooster as well and he is very very aggressive, so now we are wondering if he didn't hurt her. I'm going to continue to keep her separated from the others until she has fully recovered so maybe we find out whats going on.

5. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I would give her some liquids immediately! Take an eye dropper filled with vitamin/electrolytes and put it in the side of her mouth. Otherwise, she will dehydrate and die. Fluids are more important than feed at this point. Seperate her from the flock too. A special hospital cage should always be ready for occaisions such as this!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by