Does anyone know of any good incubators under 50.00?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gameboygal12, May 15, 2011.

1. gameboygal12

gameboygal12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    I bought the chick bator for about 30.00 and it's a piece of garbage! It won't hold a steady temperature for nothing! I want to know if anyone knows of a cheap incubator that actually works!

2. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    silky or cochen hens.

3. fishman65

fishman65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    flat rock
    most feed stores sell LG stryofoam incubators for under $50. they are real tricky and finicky...My local feed store sells the hovabator for about $48. they are good but without a fan there will be hot spots inside the incubator. If $50 is the top of your budget i would surf the homemade incubator pages on this website and make your own. I have two homemade incubators that i put together for less than $50 and they work just fine. egg turners are about $45 dollars so that will mean you will be turning your eggs by hand. just remember one thing.......hatching eggs is a serious addiction!!!!!! Like any addiction once you start you will be hooked for life.....

4. andalusn

andalusn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    My general take on a lower cost incubator that works well are the home made ones. A little effort and good scrounging will usually get you a bator that will hatch like a trooper and cost almost nothing. Searching the topic on BYC will get you to multiple success stories.

5. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I looked into the LG at $37 (more with shipping) and decided to go cheaper and capacity for fewer eggs ( in hopes of limiting the number of eggs I hatch LOL).

I've searched thru the posts/threads and there is GREAT info on making a homemade incubator. I've never wired anything but I've read enough to give it a go. And there is info on making a wooden turner which can be rigged with a motor for those with such skills or hand pulled using a wooden pole to push and pull. Which ever you choose, GL.

6. team edward

team edward Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    Amarillo Area
    You get what you pay for...If you want a good one, you need to save up and get one. [​IMG]

7. Heathero617

Heathero617 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    I just today decided to build one from a styrofoam cooler and other goodies. After my dad said "well, I hatched out 3 Emu chicks in a cardboard box sat on top of the heat vent on the floor" I thought, well...let me give this a go then. I basically did a youtube search and watched a couple people throw them together without much effort at all. Going tomorrow and getting my thermometer/hydrometer and we'll be all set. Going to get a timer for the light as well to try and avoid heat spikes so it will take a few days to work that out to go off and on every so often to hold the temps as steady as possible. I wish you luck in your endeavor!

8. yook2000

yook2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    New Haven County
    I don't like my LG incubator. It is very hard to adjust the temperature. Very tricky!

9. BackyardMix

BackyardMix Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by