Does anyone know the breed and gender?

valleychicks

Songster
6 Years
Nov 22, 2013
Metasville Wilkes County Georgia

I believe this is a Game chicken but not sure if it is an Old English or American. I would also like to know if this is a Roo or Pullet. I have no idea the age of the chicken. We rescued this one and another one from brush in our yard a few weeks ago late at night during a thunderstorm. They are tiny compared to our 18 week old chickens so I figure they are either Bantam or pretty young.

Bantam and over 6 weeks I believe but that's about all I can tell at this point. The pic's too blurry to see feather type properly but I think it's a pullet.

Best wishes.

I'm leaning towards cockerel, but am not sure. A less blurry photo would help. Probably a game bantam mix (Old English and Modern Game).

I'm leaning towards cockerel, but am not sure. A less blurry photo would help. Probably a game bantam mix (Old English and Modern Game).

The coloring is quite cockerel style, isn't it? The reason I reckon it's a pullet is because both wattles and crest are very underdeveloped and pale compared to how red the face is and the apparent age of the bird. But yes, a better photo should help.

I have more pictures with both of the Game chickens in a few of the pictures. I believe one is a hen but the other one that has the redish/pink comb and waddles has me puzzled. I don't see saddle feathers but maybe the chicken is too young. Like I said, I have no idea their age. I don't believe they are fully feathered either and have no idea what happened to their tail feathers. Their tail feathers were worse when we got them. They are actually trying to grow in now. I think they may have early on had a hard young life. Most of my flock are at laying age so I am feeding them all Flock Raiser with oyster/egg shell on the side for the big girls. I don't want these little ones getting ill from layer feed. Let me know what y'all think gender/breed/age. Thanks!

Alright, in these last pics it's clear it's a male. The patterned feathers you see on the pullet he's with, he would still have if he were female; you can see he has some remnants of those 'wild type' juvenile and hen sort of feathers here and there among his solid adult male feathering. The dark, solid color red, black, and orange on his body, shoulders, and neck are all adult coloring for his type. Pullets retain the patterning and coloring the female with him is showing.

Best wishes.

Alright, in these last pics it's clear it's a male. The patterned feathers you see on the pullet he's with, he would still have if he were female; you can see he has some remnants of those 'wild type' juvenile and hen sort of feathers here and there among his solid adult male feathering. The dark, solid color red, black, and orange on his body, shoulders, and neck are all adult coloring for his type. Pullets retain the patterning and coloring the female with him is showing.

Best wishes.
Thank you! That is great. My husband wants to call them Bonnie and Clyde if one was male and one female because they were hiding out. LOL! His coloring is what threw me and the lack of saddle feathers. I know usually the Game Roosters have solid areas of color on them but his was all random/blended. So do you think his feather coloring will change to look more like a Game Rooster? Any idea how young they may be? I've never seen very young Game to know what they are supposed to look like. Thanks for your input!

His feathering is in the process of changing to solid colors now, originally he would have started off much like her but probably with less distinct patterns and larger areas of solid color. As for his age... Hard to tell and having gone though a hard life sets them back which throws all bets off... At the moment I am thinking he is probably between 5 and 8 months. Vague but hard to say with his obviously hard earlier life.

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom