Does anyone know the protein % of kefir or eggs?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by brandislee, Feb 23, 2011.

1. brandislee

brandislee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Southern Minnesota
    I'm trying to work out a soy free feed for my chickens and, as I plan to feed them kefir daily, wanted to take that into consideration. I did a search both here and generally on Google but didn't find anything. Anyone know? Also, the protein charts that I've found don't list the protein % of eggs- I haven't googled that one yet, but does anyone know?

TIA!

2. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    Hi,
    protein of kefir is somewhere around 4-4.5% depending on the amount in the original milk. Don't quote me! I use kefir more as a probiotic and B12 tonic than a proper feed ingredient (i.e. chuck a bit in with new chicks, or when I have leftovers).

Eggs? Gee I'm not sure. :)

3. dottysfarm

dottysfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2010
    Eau Claire, WI
    I am also needing to know the protein content of eggs. I plan to keep some banties as well as my large fowl and the banty eggs will serve as a part of my feed to all the chickens. I have started hard boiling the eggs and then putting them (whole with shell still on) in the food processor and feeding that way.

4. brandislee

Feb 15, 2011
    Southern Minnesota
    Thanks- knowing the protein of kefir was more a novelty than something I will rely on as a source of protein, but I'm really surprised no one's chimed in with the percent protein of eggs. I plan to feed my chickens 1 egg per 15 chickens per day once they're laying (so two eggs a day until butchering time, then one egg a day when I've just got my layers) and would like to figure that into their daily protein. And based on the percent I may increase, decrease this amount.

I know that eggs are around 6 grams of protein each- is the percent protein figured by weight or volume? Anyone?

5. dottysfarm

dottysfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2010
    Eau Claire, WI
  6. brandislee

Feb 15, 2011
    Southern Minnesota
    That's not the right percentage- that states percent daily value of our diet. The protein percent stated when dealing with chicken feed, etc, is by volume. Like 15% of any volume of wheat is protein (for example). Eggs would have to be much higher than that.

And on that note, I just want to mention that many grains are assumed to have more protein than they probably do. My husband works at a wheat mill and they have to test many times a day to maintain the protein levels in AP flour, which is usually between 12 and 13 % protein. He said that most wheat, even winter wheat, is closer to 12 than the 14 % that I often see stated. Spring wheat is much lower. And oats are often quoted as the same as wheat, when really they should be a little lower.

Just wanted to throw that in there:)

7. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Canned dog food has a much lower percentage of protein in it (by weight) than dry dog food, because the water in the dog food is such a high percentage of the food. If you compare dry and wet dog food proteins based on dry weight, then they are very similar.

If you are looking at the percentage of protein in an egg, which contains a lot of water, with grains, that contain very little water, you're going to get percentages that seem odd, for the same reason.

8. brandislee

Feb 15, 2011
    Southern Minnesota
    So are you saying that these percentages are by weight? Because I think that's all I need to know to figure this out by myself. Anyone else know- are these percentages figured by weight or volume?

9. babieblues

babieblues Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2009
    Saskatchewan, Canada
  10. brandislee

Feb 15, 2011
    Southern Minnesota
    No, that doesn't really help. I had already found that info. What I wanted was the percentage so I could figure out how it would affect the percentage of the feed I give my chickens.

But I found it! Thanks to Livestrong.com, of all places. I tried to figure it out based on the weight of an egg from my kitchen, but that is thrown off by the water in the egg- unlike the previous poster states, water isn't considered in the percentages. Nutrient percentages take into account only the macronutrients- protein, fat, and carbohydrate. So, for example, an egg is 35% protein, 63% fat, and 2% carbohydrate.

So I (finally) found my answer. Thanks for everyone who responded, though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by