Does anyone know what breed these 2 hens are? Golden Cuckoo Marans!!??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by goldnchocolate, Jul 28, 2010.

1. goldnchocolate

goldnchocolate Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I am hoping someone will recognize what these hens are. They are between 14 and 15 wks old and were hatched from either my first or second incubator hatching. I ordered several batches of hatching eggs from BYC members and I think that these were extras that were thrown in for free because they aren't any breed that I ordered. They are always together (I call them the Bobbsy Twins) whether they are outside just walking around or whenever they roost. They hatched with a bunch of other breeds so I can't figure out how they know that they are the same [​IMG] as each other.

As you can see they have white legs so I know that they aren't some sort of barnyard mix from my own EE's. They also have nice quiet personalities and wouldn't mind having a few more just like them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  2. reesepoultry

reesepoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2009
    Well they are definately creole, but not sure what breed. I would have said creole old english but there to big. unless there standards. [​IMG]

3. goldnchocolate

May 9, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Thanks! Is Creole the coloring?

4. reesepoultry

Jul 4, 2009
    yes, creole is definately the coloring.

Here is my bantam old english creole hen:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  5. reesepoultry

Jul 4, 2009
    I think they are a mix chicken. I would say they are definately mixed with old english crele. Not sure on the other mix though. They don't look pure. This is just my guess. Maybe someone will know.

6. goldnchocolate

May 9, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Thanks, I think you are right. I just looked up the Crele OEG's and they do come in standard size. I definitely didn't order these but I hear that OEG hens make great mothers!! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Even if they are a mix at least now I have an idea of what they could be. [​IMG] Thanks again.

7. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    They are really weird...the tails look like roos but the hackles are like pullets. They are really interesting though.

8. goldnchocolate

May 9, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Ooooops....sorry I posted in the wrong section.

Quote:I looked at them this morning while they were walking around and the tail is upright instead of hanging down like in their roosting pic. I hope they aren't roos... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] ....the majority of eggs that hatched are roos. I'm going to be doing quite a bit of weeding out, pretty soon. Anybody in MA interested in some of PEACHICK'S Solid Blue Maran cockerels---15 wks old) (eggs won in one of her auctions)? I have several blacks, one blue and one splash---free to a good home (preferably free ranging because that is what they are used to).

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  9. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    they sorta look like ees

10. goldnchocolate

May 9, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Quote:I have a lot of EE's and they don't really look anything like them. These pullets have smallish heads, no pouffy cheeks, no green legs, etc. The only thing that is similar is the fact that the heads are a lighter color than the brown on the rest of the body.

Here are a few pics from tonight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by