Does anyone know what breed this chicken is?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Alkonost, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Alkonost

Alkonost Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2010
    Austin
    He was a stray that wandered onto a client's property and wouldn't leave, even though her hens were attacking him. I say "him" because he recently started crowing, but I honestly don't know for sure if it's a rooster---erm, cockerel. Pretty sure, though. I'm new to chickens, so forgive me if my questions are really dumb. Anyway, here are some pictures of him:

[​IMG]
    The black speckles on his comb are/were blood blisters from the hens' abuse. They have since healed.

[​IMG]
    These pictures are from when I first got him. Since then, he's grown in a lot of beautiful shiny green feathers on his back. Where you see puny black feathers, there are now green ones. He also has a couple of green tail feathers now, too, although most of them are still red.

[​IMG]
    Profile shot...

[​IMG]
    ...and profile shot when he got excited about the camera and stood up tall. SO CUTE.

Thanks, all!

2. ChickenCop

ChickenCop Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like a Rhode Island Red to me.[​IMG]

3. Alkonost

Alkonost Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2010
    Austin
    Ah! Thanks! I should have guessed something like that, but like I said, I'm Chicken-Dumb. Still trying to figure this whole thing out...

4. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, he's some variety of Red, probably Rhode Island and he is definately a HE.

5. ChickenCop

ChickenCop Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey no problem! Glad to help!!! After all these years Im still learning about chickens![​IMG]

6. buzymom13

buzymom13 I run the Alien Chicken Asylum

Apr 20, 2010
    He looks just like my Production Red roo...

they are pretty but BIG...
    [​IMG]

7. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:Rhode Island Reds are a breed not a variety of a breed called Reds. Whay other varieties might there be?

8. willowtreeaviary

willowtreeaviary Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2010
    Wow -- beautiful bird! And definitely a male. Maybe a Red Comet? Just throwing that out - I'm very new to chickens, too.

9. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    He look like my production reds although they are all pullets same color and markings. My girls would LOVE him LOL

[​IMG]

10. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    New hampshire or RIR

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by