Does anyone know what causes this?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ruby Mia, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Ruby Mia

Ruby Mia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2013
    England
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  2. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    Sounds like diarrhea. That's what I thought when I saw the picture. What other symptoms is the chicken showing?

3. Trampledbygeese

Trampledbygeese Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    Looks like it's not digesting it's food properly.

Perhaps an infection or perhaps parasites. Could be it just doesn't have the correct gut bacteria to eat the food. Or it could be she just ate something wrong that day.

Is she on layer pellets? If so, try mixing it with water/milk for a few days to make a porage (change twice a day, as it ferments into beer which makes chickens drunk - chickens are mean drunks), see if this improves digestion. Maybe also put some poultry vit in the water to make sure she's getting enough nutrient from her diet.

Just some thoughts. Sometimes chickens just eat something wrong and need to poop it out. So if it's a one-off, don't worry, but if you see this day after day, or if there are other problems with the chicken, then maybe it's time to look at the big picture and see what's going on with the chicken.

4. Ruby Mia

Feb 6, 2013
    England
    thanks for your help! [​IMG]

5. Ruby Mia

Feb 6, 2013
    England
    he has something called crook neck so were having to hand feed him at the moment

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by