Does anyone know what could be wrong with my duck?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Imapsychowhoa, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Imapsychowhoa

Imapsychowhoa Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2010
    He is about 7 months old and yesterday he acted weird and wouldn't walk out of his pen ( i let them loose to run around the yard during the evening) i carried him out (which was strange because he never let's me pick him up) and looked at his feet to see if he stepped on something but they just looked normal when i sat him down he sat down on the ground and wouldnt move i put him by himself for the night and today he walks some but limps around and wont eat or drink.Does anyone know what could be wrong with him?

2. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

3. jrobertson

jrobertson Robertson's Rare Poultry

Apr 24, 2010
    NW Alabama
    too much calcium can have a negative effect on ducks especially drakes. ducks tend to need more calcium due to egg production and such. i know excessive calcium can cause drakes to become listless and still. and when they do get up, it's a slow limpy motion. so if you've been feeding oyster shell or laying ration (or anything else high in calcium) mixed in with the daily ration. this could be your problem.

4. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Duck's can easily get sprain's.I have One Pekin hen now with a slight one.I been keeping an eye on her the 2 days but seem's to be doing ok and getting better already.I have heard about the calcium in duck's also but I dont keep any oyster shell if I do give to layer's or penned hen's where the duck's can eat it.I don't feed any of my duck's or duckling's medicated feed either.I have had a couple in the past with sprain's that I had to tape and seperate from the flock a bit.I would check both leg's thouroughly if he or she has a sprain or sore spot or maybe even a slight fracture if you find the spot the duck will usualy let you know.Hope it get's well soon.

5. Imapsychowhoa

Imapsychowhoa Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2010
    Thanks everyone this morning he was worse and plops down on his chest and head now but he trys to drink if i hold him up he still doesn't eat though.i feed my duck's non medicated game bird starter? Could that be the problem?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by