Does Anyone Know What Kind Of Spider This Is? Is It Dangerous?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Chickie Mamma, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Hello, we have been watching this beautiful spider spin the most gorgeous webs for 4 days now. She is pretty big for this area (about 2 inches) and I was just wondering if she may be dangerous. My kids love watching her every night and hopefully she is not poisonous. Thanks for looking [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Ahhh! Yes, it's dangerous! KILL it!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

**That is a dam cool pic of a web though....**

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  3. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Seriously??? If she is poisonous yes, but if she's not, she is not bothering anyone where she is.

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    No.. i dont really think shes dangerous... (i dont see a fiddle on her back..)
    I just have a nasty fear of spiders.. so i say KILL it...
    *see how shes positioned her web?? Shes trying to catch your children in it...
    I'm telling ya!!* [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

That's beautiful. I usually just watch spiders. So few of them are truly dangerous to people, especially here in Washington.

Imp

6. country freedom

country freedom Chillin' With My Peeps

Please do not kill a HARMLESS spider!!!

Orb Web Weaver!!!

NOT DEADLY TO HUMANS - unlike Black Widow, Brown Recluse, ect...

7. andehens

andehens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Scenic Sierra Nevadas
    I had one like her in my garden, she ate bugs of course and spun that awesome web. I think that is called an orb web? I researched her a bit then and have forgotten what she was called but she was not rare.

8. vetgirl00us

vetgirl00us Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    gorgeous spider, not dangerous. Possibly and type of Argiope but not sure. Spiders that build webs like that are not dangerous in the US.

9. DragonEggs

DragonEggs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Borger, TX
    Redhen, you should have known better than to look at a thread with the word "spider" in the title.

Seriously, I can't tell from the pics, but does she have any brightly colored markings on her? Is she mostly brown? Can you see fangs?

Personally, I like spiders. I let them be wherever they are, as long as they aren't a wolf spider or in the family thereof and in my house or car. A Banana spider provided excellent fly control in my coop for a long time.

10. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    I don't think she's harmful myself, just her coloring caught my eye. I've seen webs before, but these are about 3 feet from top to bottom and about 2 feet wide. It takes her about an hour or more to complete it. She positioned herself well, when I turn the back light on, the moths come flying right through her web to get to the light. Smart spider [​IMG] I won't kill her... just want to make sure she is ok to be within feet of my kids. Trust me.. no one will try to touch her or get too close to the web.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by