Does anyone know what this is?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by txhall3, Feb 22, 2017.

1. txhall3

txhall3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2015
    Leander, Texas
    Does anyone know what this is? I found our bantam brahma as well as another hen hanging out away from the flock yesterday evening which was a new behavior. They looked a little tired but that was it. No respiratory symptoms, no injuries.I thought it was because our two young roosters had been driving them crazy so I gave both of them some time alone in the run ( they have 1/8 pen outside the run) to eat and drink in peace. The other hen drank some then went in and roosted for the night. I brought the bantam in for the night to give her a break. That is when I saw this behavior head and neck shaking sort of like she's adjusting her crop but over and over. I tried to put the video on here but it won't let me. No respiratory symptoms, poop looks fine, she was wormed in November. I gave her a cc of Nutri Drench last night . She eats a combo of H&H grower/developer ( cause I've had young ones in the coop) and I added equal parts layer crumbles the other day (which she has eaten before). She was still showing this behavior this morning and seems more lethargic. I went out to check on the others ( I have a small pet flock of 15) and found that the other hen had passed away suddenly during the night! I have never had one die like that and am stunned. I'm out there every day with them. I came back in and checked the bantam again. Crop has liquid and feels soft. At first I thought I detected an odor but when I opened her mouth to really check I couldn't smell anything. I'm taking her into the vet and having a necropsy on my other poor hen but chickens are not the specialty of my vet so I thought I would ask the experts on here.

--

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry for your loss. I would definitely keep checking the crop, especially when it should be empty by morning. Impacted or sour sour crop problems can be common and deadly, and may happen when eating long grasses or grains and grass without poultry grit (crushed granite.) Lack of drinking water, possibly from being kept from the waterers, could add to this. Sour crop can look like a squish balloon-like crop that does not empty, and gives off a sour or bad odor. A good thing to do with any chicken who seems standoffish or weak, would be to check the crop, look for lice or mites on the skin, check for a stuck egg or vent blockage, look at droppings, and make sure they are eating and drinking. Please update your thread here with what the vet has to say. Keep your dead bird refrigerated for the necropsy. You can contact your state poultry lab or vet for a necropsy. Here is a good article or two on crop problems:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/answers-from-chicken-vet-on-impacted.html

For contact information on a necropsy:
    http://www.usaha.org/Portals/6/StateAnimalHealthOfficials.pdf
    http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

3. txhall3

txhall3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2015
    Leander, Texas
    Thank you so much!
    *Update* Our vet worked us in and after tests, X-rays, microscopic examinations and some unpleasant forced regurgitation it looks like Jasmine ( the bantam Brahma) is suffering from some complications from sour crop. The liquid on her crop did not show yeast but tons of bacteria. She feels awful. We have started meds (metronidazole -she is never going into the food chain so it's ok) and will give her nursing care so she has hope of making it through. I crushed the metronidazole and mixed it with a little apple
    cider vinegar, NutriDrench, baby parrot food, and water with electrolytes and probiotics. I syringe fed her. We will see. For my hen who passed away the vet examined Stacey's body and took some X-rays and right now there is no explanation as to why she died. Hopefully we will get some answers with the internal exam. I am heartbroken and worried about Jasmine and the rest of the flock. Prayers and well wishes for Jasmine are appreciated! RIP my
    Stacey. You were a friendly chick, a beautiful and sweet hen, and an incredible mother. I will miss you terribly. Huge thank you to Dr. Jason Huggins and Crystal Falls Animal Hospital for taking such amazing care of us!

1 person likes this.
  4. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Oh I am sorry for your loss. Bless Stacys' little chicken heart. I hope your other girl gets well soon. Let us know how the tests prove out. Sounds like you are doing great as a nursemaid to your birds.
    best,
    Karen

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  5. mustangrooster

mustangrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Im so sorry for your loss [​IMG][​IMG]

Please keep us updated.

6. ForrestGump

ForrestGump Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2016
    Seattle
    Sorry for your loss. Over the years I've had two hens with sour crop. Neither of them made it. It seems that once they get it, it is very hard to bring them back.

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I'm glad that you got such good vet care by your vet, and am hoping that it was caught in time. I will look forward to your updates on her condition.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by