Does anyone know what this is?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by our lovelies, Mar 21, 2017.

1. our lovelies

our lovelies New Egg

Mar 21, 2017
    [​IMG]
    This came out of a hen who has been acting fine until this morning. She did not want to come out of her coop or off her roost. I nudged her a bit and about a minute later she came down on her own. But she had some whitish yellow paste on her butt. I took her in gave her an epsom salts bath,fungal spray on her vent, ACV, epsom salts flush, and plain Greek yogurt. About 45 minutes later she passed the membrane looking thing. It is completely translucent, only clear liguid inside, does not seem like a tapeworm and so on. Also she stopped laying March 5th about 3 days after she lost a flock member which was her original flock member. Once she passed membrane she perked up and free ranges all day. She was a bit more tired than normal, but eating and drinking.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How old is she? That looks like a continuous stream of egg membrane, probably an accident from something odd going on in her oviduct. I haven't seen this before even in pictures on BYC. She could be an internal layer, but this obviously is not normal. Hopefully, it is just a bip in her egg laying. There can be all sorts of abnormal eggs and other irregularities in chickens.

3. our lovelies

our lovelies New Egg

Mar 21, 2017
    She is 4

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I have mostly hens who are 4-6 years old, and have quite a few that lay weird eggs or none at all. Reproductive problems such as internal laying, salpingitis, and egg yolk peritonitis are very common. It could have been just a glitch in her egg laying, or she may start having some strange-looking eggs. That is a very interesting photo of what she laid, though. Here are a few articles about egg laying issues:
    http://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/disorders-of-the-reproductive-system/internal-layer-poultry
    http://www.merckvetmanual.com/poult...-system/defective-or-abnormal-eggs-in-poultry
    http://scoopfromthecoop.nutrenaworld.com/tag/laying-issues/

5. our lovelies

our lovelies New Egg

Mar 21, 2017
    Thank you for the links and info. She laid a fairy egg as her last egg on March 5th. So I am hoping this was a strange occurrence and not continuos. Regardless she is a sweet heart and we love her.

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Here are some odd looking eggs from other BYCers that show the mistakes in the oviducts of hens:
    [​IMG]
    photo by theoldchick

[​IMG]
    photo by rhoise

[​IMG]

photo by hennotrooster
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  7. our lovelies

our lovelies New Egg

Mar 21, 2017
    Wow thank you