Does anyone know what type of chicken this may be?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by newchickenowner, Apr 18, 2008.

1. newchickenowner

newchickenowner New Egg

Apr 17, 2008
    Some of you may have already seen my former post that we are brand new to chickens, my son brought this little fellow home from school. PLEASE ignore the poo in the pics, this little guy goes constantly you can't keep the cage clean!

Thank you for all of your help!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance for your help, any tips anyone wants to give on raising chicks will be taken as well, as you can see we've already switched from newspaper to paper towels which makes it easier to keep his cage clean but still he just poops it up in an hour!!

Thanks!

2. S n M Poultry

S n M Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2007
    Riverside,CA
    looks like a white leghorn or a white rock to me. It may even be a Cornish X

3. Cheep Mama

Cheep Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Michigan
    I can't help you with your question, just wanted to say welcome and enjoy your new little chickie!!!

4. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

I thought Cornish X, he's pretty hefty.

5. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    Hello and welcome. I am a new chick owner too. Your baby is so cute and good luck with it but it really needs some friends as they are flock birds and need friends to be happy so good luck on getting the addiction.lol I was going to have 6 total i have 5 now getting 6 more next week and 4 more the next week. lol i have it bad:jumpy:yiipchick:weee

6. FLOWERPOT

FLOWERPOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I just wanted egg layers, then I saw banties and got some of them, then I bought an incubator and started hatching eggs, I now have some in the bator, some more on the way and 56 out is the barn~coop. All this in 3 months time!

7. championny

championny Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    That is a CornishX. You can tell by his stocky legs and the fact you mentioned he poos a lot. I would only have to say I haven't heard of many people raising them as pets, although i assume a few do. They are messy and eat LOTS of food because their growth rate is really fast.

The sad part is, if he is a CornishX, as he gets older he can tend to have leg problems and such. They aren't bred for pets but for meat.

Good luck and I hope this helps a little! [​IMG]

8. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Do you know how old it is. I am *hoping* for your son's sake that it isn't a Cornish X [​IMG]... (they're the ones raised commercially for meat, they grow incredibly fast and do not survive well to adulthood)

Pat

9. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Quote:Yep you got the disease too. Sorry it is incurable. [​IMG] Enjoy all those babies.

10. coopist

coopist Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    Midwest U.S.
    CornishX.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by