Does anyone know what would happen if...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Buster, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Buster

Buster Back to Work

If I put a black or splash orp roo over white orp hens? Does anyone know what color I would get?

2. Homegroanacres

Homegroanacres Chillin w/the Ice in my Glass

Apr 10, 2008
    Salem, Oregon
    Quote:Count me in on wanting to know also...

Some one has to know the possible colors and % of when adding

White (in any combo)

and

Buff (in any combo)

3. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I want to know too! [​IMG]

4. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Make that 4 that want to know [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  5. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I think it would depend a lot on whether it was dominant or recessive white.

6. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    If you do Black over recessive White you should get Black and over Dominant White you should get White... but, with recessive genes at play, I do not know... nor could I tell you what the Splash roo will get ya [​IMG]

7. Homegroanacres

Apr 10, 2008
    Salem, Oregon
    I suffer from a big dose of logic... so to me "Dominant" means, something that would over rule and "recessive" would mean to be that could not rule
    over I know that is wrong but it sooooo hard to make my mind understand.

Black x White (to me) would be some black, some white, some black and
    white and some white and black

The whole thing is like Algebra..How in the world can I add\\subtract letter!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I guess my left side needs to ligthin up! [​IMG]

8. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I wish I could answer those questions [​IMG] I'm still learning about this whole genetics thing. I have a Mille Fleur and a Self-Blue d'Uccle...and if I breed them... I will get all black babies! LMAO So.... yeah, it just doesn't work like common sense would dictate. It's all based on who has enough of what to form a "whatever"

9. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    If you are wondering if you will get a spotted chick the answer is no. You will get some blacks and some whites and depending on if there is a recessive white hiding somewhere you won't know for a couple generations what might pop out.

I think dominant white will hide black (making it recessive). Recessive white will be hidden by the black. There is also the recessive white that can hidden by dominant white.

Some black chicks and some white chicks that can in future generations through the opposite color in a chick.

As for the splash roo you will get something with the diluted black gene that makes the splash and blue but most likely you'll get white chicks with a dominant white that hides the blue gene.

It almost isn't worth your time to mix up the black and whites. You don't really get anything but blacks and whites with an opoosite colored chicks showing up down the line if you breed back.

You will get a line of chickens that no longer retain the purity of the original parents.

You do have Deisel and some Speckled Sussex to play with. Focus, Jared! Focus. [​IMG]

10. Homegroanacres

Apr 10, 2008
    Salem, Oregon
    Quote:[​IMG] I'm tryin I'm TRYIN!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

So is Black the absent of color or is White the absent of color?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by