Does anyone know which breed these two are?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by KingOfThePeeps, Feb 25, 2012.

1. KingOfThePeeps

KingOfThePeeps Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2012
    I picked these young ladies up today! The guy didn't know what kind they were, so I came to the experts. These are my first attempt at raising chickens. I think the one is the back could be a Plymouth Rock, but not totally sure. Any help is appreciated.
    [​IMG]

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Likely. The rear bird appears to be a hatchery quality Barred Rock. The bird in the foreground appears to be red chicken. A production type red bird.

3. Fred's Hens

What did they seller tell you about their age, if any claim was made?

4. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    X2

5. KingOfThePeeps

Feb 25, 2012
    Yes! I didn't see that one when I scanned the breeds. Thanks you very much!

6. KingOfThePeeps

Feb 25, 2012
    He said they were maybe a year old. He seemed to be in the process of switching to Leghorns.

7. Fred's Hens

There are a zillion twists on the red production type bird. That one might even be a generation 2 or gen 3 farm bred. There is New Hampshire or Rhode Island Red in its past somewhere, but it is pretty much a mix/mutt. Please don't get me wrong. Many of these production type red birds are great layers and have wonderful personalities. It is just that it isn't a breed, as it isn't purebred anything. Enjoy your new adventure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by