1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Does anyone know which hatchery sends an assortment of day old chicks

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by clacasse88, Jul 5, 2010.

1. clacasse88

clacasse88 Songster

Sep 13, 2009
    and sends a listing of what is shipped with it? I was recently searching online/catalogs, etc. and cannot remember which hatchery it was. It said it was a great way for a beginner to start with, since you could identify the chicks as they grew.

Thanks!

2. Beekercat

Beekercat Chirping

Aug 23, 2009
    Gainesville, Florida
    I believe My Pet Chicken does this - I've never ordered from them, but I think I've seen it on their website (www.mypetchicken.com).

3. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    Yeah and they are having a sale!! $47.50 for 25 female chicks shipped!!

4. clacasse88

clacasse88 Songster

Sep 13, 2009
    Thanks, but it's not MPC. I ordered the mystery pullet special a month ago from them . . . and having another one shipped tomorrow. It's a lot of fun and great pricing, but I wish I could have a listing sent.

[​IMG]

5. katheria

katheria Songster

Apr 8, 2010
    yep it would be nice, i know its not ideal....

im still trying to figure out what some of my assorted bantys are LOL

and i figure ill be trying to figure it out for atleast 2 months
    but hey i like the challenge [​IMG]

6. goatranch

goatranch Chirping

Dec 8, 2009
    We got a hatchery surprise from Cackle Hatchery. We got Huge assortment !!!! I am very happy with everything we got, but it was alot of birds. They didn't give you a list of what they were. We are still trying to figure out what they are. It is a fun way to discover new breeds, and I think they came out less than $1 per bird. We got some White crested, Spitzhaubens, and some bantam breeds. Next time I will find someone to split an order. Good luck and have fun![​IMG]

7. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Songster

Nov 8, 2008
    Portage County, Ohio
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  8. Amyable

Amyable Songster 9 Years

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    Sandhill Preservation in Iowa also does random assortments. I ordered one this spring and got Sumatras, 2 kinds of Polish, Frizzles, and Anconas. They have different assortments for all chicken breeds, small breeds, larger breeds, ducks, and all poultry combined. Plus the cost per chick is much much less.

eta: They include a list of what breeds they send too.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  9. clacasse88

clacasse88 Songster

Sep 13, 2009
    Quote:I went through so many catalogs & online websites and came across ONE hatchery that did send the list and it was SANDHILL PRESERVATION! Thank you!!!! That's the answer I was looking for.

10. Amyable

Amyable Songster 9 Years

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    Quote:I went through so many catalogs & online websites and came across ONE hatchery that did send the list and it was SANDHILL PRESERVATION! Thank you!!!! That's the answer I was looking for.

You're welcome [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: