Does anyone know why a hen might have a bare bottom?

sharonandtracy

Hatching
Sep 12, 2021
Does anyone know why a hen might have a bare bottom? The one I'm taking of looks as though all her feathers have been plucked off her bottom, though I saw a couple new ones growing today.

Does anyone know why a hen might have a bare bottom? The one I'm taking of looks as though all her feathers have been plucked off her bottom, though I saw a couple new ones growing today.
Reasons for bare butts may include:

Being overly fat

Plucked by others

Hernia

Molting

Water belly

Internal laying

Mites

Can you get a picture so we can see what you're seeing?

This is what it looks like...it is the two smallest but I haven't noticed them packing at each other. However I have noticed runny light brown pops in the cage which don't look normal

Attachments

• 20211011_180440.jpg
    20211011_180440.jpg
    446.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 20211011_180417.jpg
    20211011_180417.jpg
    861.2 KB · Views: 20
The bare rear end is caused by urates in feces scalding the skin causing feather loss, redness and inflammation. I recommend applying Nu-Stock to the affected area, it will heal the area and prevent any picking and pecking. Fluff and feathers will eventually regrow.
Nu-Stock can be found in a feed store in the equine section. Wear disposable gloves when applying it.
thnustock.jpg

Thank you, dawg53 but do you think it might be mites? Today I saw some missing feathers on her neck and on the rear of another small hen as well.

You can see mites crawling on her, inspect her closely. I suspect molt, it's that time of the year. Continue with the Nu-Stock treatment on her rear end though.

You might have a bully that is plucking her.

Or also age? I have an older hen that recently went bare, and today i noticed she had been bitten by a dog and had a terrible injury. First time seeing a bare hen like that.

Back
Top Bottom