Does anyone know why my Black Sumatra Hens are not laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by roysnider, Jul 11, 2011.

1. roysnider

roysnider Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    Mena, AR
    Two of our Sumatra pullets hatched on Jan 2nd, 2011 (27 weeks old) and they have not begun to lay any eggs or even shown any interest in getting in the nest boxes. The other one hatched on Jan 18th, 2011 (25 weeks old) and no eggs from it either. I put a ceramic egg in one of the nest boxes hoping to draw some interest but have had no luck. There is a cockerel in the coop with them. I know it is hot but there are 4 hens (2 Buckeye and 2 Andalusian) in the coop next to them in the barn and they are laying eggs. All other laying hens (Ameraucana, OEGB, Hamburg, Buttercup) in the yard are laying in-spite of the heat. The other breeds of pullets hatched around the same time frame have already begun to lay their eggs. We do not have a light on in the barn due to the heat but during the day it is light in there just not the sun shining in. Hasn't effected the other two breeds. What is the deal with the Sumatra Pullets? Is there something I am not doing that they need verses other breeds?

2. EricH

EricH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Valley Springs, ca
    some take longer than others. its hard to accept at first, but its the only true answer..... just wait it out. you're not doing anything wrong.

3. roysnider

roysnider Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    Mena, AR
    thanks, I have read on the internet that the Sumatra cockerels will be fine together except during mating season. Did not know there was a mating season. My Ameraucana Rooster mates all the time. There is not a lot of info on the internet about the Sumatra breed as far as egg laying goes. We have them specifically for Exhibition but would sure like some eggs out of them and be able to hatch some for the Spring show season.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by