Does anyone know why you can't buy a suture kit from a vet?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dkosh, Mar 19, 2013.

1. dkosh

dkosh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Eastern MA
    I recently had to suture up a hen from a hawk attack. I did not get a chance to replace the suture kit before I had an emergency with my pygmy goat. I called every vet in the area (they do not care for large animals where I live). They would not sell me a suture kit nor would they treat her. I needed to give her a C-section. The kid was already dead and we were trying to save her. Unfortunately we had to put her down because I couldn't get a suture kit. Any reason why they wouldn't sell one? I wasn't asking for a syringe. I don't understand. Anyone in the vet industry that can shine some light on this. I'm still very upset over the whole situation.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  3. dkosh

dkosh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Eastern MA
    I usually do. But like I had mentioned. I used my last sutures on a hawk attack on one of my hens. I did not get the chance to re-order them. By the way I use Premier1Supplies.com . My problem is that in an emergency, not one local vet would help me save my goat. I don't understand why they couldn't sell me a suture kit. That is my question. I explained my emergency and not one local vet would help me. We had to put the mom down because she was suffering and I couldn't save her. Maybe she would have died anyway but I couldn't help her because not one vet would sell me a lousy suture kit. I will never run out again. But anyone that knows a vet, please ask them and clue me in on why?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by