Does anyone know?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Patricia Jane, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    I am setting up a brooder and looking for a non mercury thermometer. I can't understand why I can't find one. I live in a farming community and have tried 5 different feed/TSC stores, 1 pet store and 1 local hardware store and no one carries them and have no idea where I can get one. Does anyone have any ideas? My chicks are coming this weekend.

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Oh - I had the opposite problem. I wanted a mercury thermometer since the non-mercury ones don't seem to be very accurate, but couldn't find one anywhere! I finally assumed they had stopped making and selling them due to some concern over mercury poisoning. Are you SURE the thermometers you are seeing are mercury?

3. Lil'ChickFarm

Lil'ChickFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    I don't think the red strip ones are mercury, are they?
    I have some of those.

4. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Quote:Most modern thermometers don't have mercury in them because of how poisonous it is. Are you sure you arn't just assuming they have mercury?

If you are checking the lables, and still coming up with mercury, I would try wal-mart for either a digital thermometer on the cheap, or a non-mercury one.

Hope that helps!

5. Patricia Jane

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    Hmmm. Didn't know that. I bought one from a feed store but not sure if it's mercury or not, doesn't say. It does state incubator. Its small and is attached to a piece of cardboard. So do I stpe it to the inside? What happens if the little guys peck at it? This is my first time with a brooder. I'm going to try to set them first under my broody hen and if she rejects them I need to put them somewhere. I appreciate everyones responses.

6. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Oh okay, no those kind are not mercury.

7. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    The new thermometers sold now, even though they have the red stripe down the glass tube, are considered "spirit thermometers."

So...it's extremely difficult to find mercury-filled thermometers, yet some vaccines contain a mercury compound preservative. Even the compact fluorescent light bulbs contain mercury, which is why we're supposed to take them to a collection site instead of tossing in the trash.

8. clanreed

clanreed Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    Valleyford, WA
    We are using one by Oregon Scientific that we also used when raising a litter of puppies. One thing I love about it is that it wirelessly transmits the temperature and humidity to a main unit beside my bed, so if I wake up I can see what the temperature is in the brooder. It is a little pricier than a "mercury" type but I have one outside and will be putting one in the coop when we get that built. Peace of mind without having to get out of bed:)

Here is a unit like we have
    http://www.amazon.com/Oregon-Scient.../dp/B000WOG90E/ref=acc_glance_hg_ai_ps_t3_t_5

~Shannon

9. Patricia Jane

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    Thanks Clanreed. I'll check into it. But I need it by this weekend. It would be great for my next round. In the meantime does anyone know if I can tape the thermometer I have to the inside of the brooder? I'm afraid the chicks will peck at it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by