Does anyone love Christmas?

nccountrygirl

Songster
12 Years
Jul 31, 2007
Sanford N.C.
Hey ya'll, Is there anyone out there that likes Christmas as much as I do? It is my favorite time of year. People get nicer, they smile more and are happier for some odd reason. Most will be in serious debt after the holidays, but for that 1 month people change for the better. I love the smells and the lights and the noise of Wal Mart( Southerners Maceys). I love the crazy rush, how families will see relatives they never see any other time of year. We do more for the less fortunate, people won't think twice about putting money into the big red kettle at Christmas time, but if any one ask any other time of the year we will treat them as bums. Why is that so? Make you wonder about people in gereral doesn't it.

I agree that it is my favorite time of year. I just wish I could go back to being the child so I don't have to think about how I'm going to pay for it all. What's sadder is how commercialized this holiday is. Seems like the focal point has changed or all of disappeared. I love the sights and smells as well. I don't like the congestion of Walmart although it's my favorite store. I love listening to the music of the season and will love having a real fire in my home this year not to mention a real hearth to hang the stockings from.
love.gif
My only problem now is with the animals. All of our animals have their own stockings that match ours, so with the 3 new kittens I got on Tuesday and all the chickens....well how do you explain that Santa won't be able to make and fill 53 animal stockings this year for just one household.
barnie.gif
Other than that....hey the chickens might even get a wreath to put on their homes.
fest07.gif

I don't believe in santa... never did... didn't teach my kids about santa... I give gifts when I want to. I try to nice all the time...

...and history observes... that Christmas was instituted by the Catholics, to put down a pagan ritual of tree worship that was rampant in those days. Where they put candles on the trees and decorated in their so-called finery. The ritual also included the hanging of the greens and wreaths. Gifts were given. And the Catholic church instead of trying to do away with it they just sanctified it and welcomed the pagans into the church. Santa wasn't added for several hundred years. The Catholics sanctioned, many other pagan holidays on the calendar as well.

Its all on the web if you care to look for it.

I would have to agree... I am a Christmas lover myself. Just yesterday, I was thinking of a way to decorate a "tree" for the chickens for christmas... you know... with little treats... and how I could put christmas lights up on the chicken coop!!!
gig.gif
Now you know I have lost it!!!!!!
Tes

I am a christmas lover as well,I have been thinking how and where to put my yard things up at (I got on clearance last year).I put up a christmas village in the house every year(three tables,and that`s not everything)

Right now I'm thinking more like Halloween, but I understand the Christmas thing. I was in the backyard and was thinking of putting a small tree with white lights in a pot by the coop so chickees can have a little 'cheer' during the holidays.
cool.png

Quote:
We bought some old fashioned mica village houses on eBay and it kept growing and GROWING
AND THEN PRETTY SOON WE HAD AN N SCALE TRAIN IN THE CHINA CABINET!!
I'LL POST PICS THIS CHRISTMAS.

I'm gearing up for Halloween right now, but I love all the holidays.

I was thinking about giving the peeps some peanut butter & birdseed covered pinecones for Christmas. Thought they'd enjoy that treat, and if I hang them from the roost, then pecking at them will make it a game, too.

I buy gifts from July on, and also make stuff, so that I don't have an enormous bill after the holidays. I started doing that while I was a single mom and have kept on doing it even after marrying my DH. He thinks it's weird, and part of my pack-rat tendencies...
I love giving gifts. It feels so good.

My kids did believe in Santa. And when they started questioning him I told them about the spirit of giving, and that it lives in all of us. So we are all part of Santa, and that's why parents are 'Santa's Helpers' when the kids are small. Now that my kids don't believe (my ex told the youngest there was no Santa) it has taken a little fun out of the holiday. I think it's sad when we quit believing in magic, so I haven't stopped
smile.png

And when my youngest tells me dragons must exist, since they existed in the past, I don't argue. I like living in a world with Santa, dragons, and unicorns!!

Arklady, I'm with you. I dont do Halloween or Easter, either, for the same reasons. As a devout Christian, it's something my own conscience dictates that I avoid. When I was a kid, it was my favorite time of year, but as an adult, knowing what I know now, it's the hardest, most frustrating time of year for me now. When Oct 31 approaches, I start getting unsettled and it stays that way till January.

My family are Czech's. My late g-parents came here to build a life that was free of dictatorship. So they could worship their own way they started the first Czech speaking Baptist church near where I live. But Santa... he was the proverbial boogie man. During family get togethers Santa would walk around the building scratching at the windows and come in carrying a switch! We all hid under our mothers skirts, so to speak! He was a bad man in my eyes as a child.
As an adult, I believe in the spirit of Santa, giving, loving, etc. But he is not the reason for the season.
With such a big family we don't exchange gifts anymore, we are happy to just get together, eat and sing the old songs. We are just thankful to be together.
I can't even think of Christmas with this drought on. It is 104 today, heat index is already 110. But I am ready for cooler weather!

Back
Top Bottom