Does anyone make their own dog food ?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by PAzoo, Aug 5, 2009.

1. PAzoo

PAzoo In the Brooder

Jun 30, 2008
    Dover, PA
    Any information & recipes would be helpful. Thank you

2. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    I did for awhile. I had a rescue puppy mill Great Dane who weighed about 65 lbs when I got her--she should have weighed 120. It was a struggle to get weight on her and I didn't have much luck with regular dog food. She got 6 hard boiled eggs a day, 1 cup plain yogurt, 1 cup homemade gravy, 1/2 lb of meat, 2 cups cooked oatmeal and chopped up whatever veggies I ate that day. I worked at a truck stop restaurant that got whole beef roasts, hams, turkeys chickens to roast and I usually took home drippings for gravy as well as restaurant meat scraps for her.

She did put on weight although when she got up to 100 lbs, I started her on ProPlan Senior because it was too tedious and expensive (the truck stop closed down) to feed such a large dog. She did still get some plain yogurt and eggs every day though.

What kind of dogs have you?

3. Livinzoo

Livinzoo Songster

Mar 2, 2008
    Statham, GA
    I give my dogs raw meat. Mainly they get is leg quarters, livers, hearts. Pretty much anything. Over time I try to make it a whole prey.

4. PAzoo

PAzoo In the Brooder

Jun 30, 2008
    Dover, PA
    I have a 13 year old Australian Shepherd and a 2 1/2 year Border Collie mix...

the old girl has lost a few teeth & softening hard food just doesn't work well enough for her...I have been adding canned food - but it takes a couple cans to feed them. I just put 18 meat birds in the freezer and will be making soup s and roasts thought I could make some healthy food for the old girl

I tried mixing brown rice, chicken livers and green beans plus an egg... no one complained - but I need a balanced recipe !

5. sweet tweets

sweet tweets Chirping

Jul 3, 2009
    My dogs get Marek's dry and I cook up turkey necks for them - they love their turkey necks.

I get double duty from the turkey necks because I make stock out of the broth. Win/win!

I have tried things like grinding up carrots and apples as well as raw meat and they have love that too.

I have not switched to a totally homemade food, but I try out a lot of stuff as we go along.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: