1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does Anyone Now Where to Get an Infectious Laryngotracheitis (ILT) Vaccine?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by roostersandhens, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Hi everyone. I have had an awful weekend. Sorry to complain. My 2 beloved roosters are sick. I am pretty sure they have ILT. Which is a very very bad disease. I feel like my whole world is crashing down. I am in tears because my 2 boys are probably going to die. I need to get the vaccine for my 31 other chickens so they don't get it and die. My sick boys are Pip and Bumblebee. I have more hope that Pip will survive since he is doing a bit better than my sweet heart Bumblebee. All this is because I rescued 12 hens who were carriers of the disease. And if I vaccinate my flock, then all of my chickens will become carriers. Someone in Australia invented a medicine in 2013 that vaccinates chickens for ILT and they don't become carriers. I really do not want my flock to become carriers for if I ever get more chickens. So, what do I do? Does anyone, anyone know where to get a vaccine? Even if you only know where to get the vaccine that makes the chickens become carriers please reply. I really do not want any other chickens to get sick. Please help!!! Just getting this vaccine will make me feel a million times better. I need to get it urgently before my entire flock is exposed and dies!!!!!!! Please reply please. If you have the time please research, I would really appreciate it. I will be researching too. My local farm supply store doesn't have the vaccine :( Sorry to be so negative, but I have no positive thoughts right now, I am sitting here in tears, so please please help. Any help is appreciated SO much because if they have ILT and I don't vaccinate my flock then you know... Thanks so so much!!!
    - roostersandhens

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  3. Thanks so much I will look at the links.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Are you sure that you're dealing with ILT? One of the very noticeable symptoms is that infected chickens sling blood all over the place from their mouth to dislodge bloody mucus from the trachea so they can breathe. Cull infected birds.
    According to this link, you have to find out which strain your birds have, then vaccinate against that particular strain:
    http://newsroom.melbourne.edu/news/n-855
    I recommend getting a necropsy performed on one of your dead birds to find out what exactly they have.
    Here's a link for ordering meds etc...in Australia:
    http://www.farmerswarehouse.com.au/pages.php?pageid=13

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  5. Thanks. I am not 100% sure it is ILT. It just seemed to match a lot of my sick roosters symptoms. Plus I believe my newly rescued hens may be carriers.. I hope it isn't ILT, but I think it may be. I would like to vaccinate my flock in case it is. No, I haven't seen either of my infected birds fling blood. Though the other day I was in a room with one of them and I smelled blood, so I was very confused. That was before I heard about ILT. The whole cull thing is hard for me since I love my chickens so much, but I understand that they can get the others sick and I really don't want that. So I will consider taking them to be put to sleep, but it will just kill me to do that. But it would kill me more if my whole flock got what they have. So..

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  6. Oh, and I read that just trucks of chickens vaccinated for ILT can cause your chickens to get sick, and though my neighbors are not super close to me since I live in the country they do have chickens.. So, if my 2 roosters do have ILT does anyone have ideas about that?

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Before I would vaccinate for anything, I would get a chicken tested to make sure of what I was dealing with. MG, coryza, IB, and ILT can have similar symptoms, and there can also be more than one disease at the same time. Here is a good list of disease and symptoms: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

8. I don't think it is MG or Coryoza. I had thought about IB.. It could be that, and I would be so so happy if they just have IB, and not ILT.

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by