Does anyone on BYC have English Budgies?

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by First To Hatch, Feb 18, 2009.

1. First To Hatch

First To Hatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    New York
    I was wonder if anyone on BYC has any english budgies.

2. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    I did. supposedly theres "no such thing as english budgies" that those types of parakeets are just the show type of pet budgie. least that's what i was scolded and told by a budgie breeder lol!

3. Shaffer

Shaffer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    Tamaqua, NE Pa
    Go to the Budgerigar Association of America. All the show budgies originated from stock imported from England. I am sure the top breeders here still import some birds today. The quality birds are very expensive but ocassionally you can find some for $20 each. I bred them in the 1970's and 1980's and did very well at the shows and I still call them English Budgies to differenciate them from the pet stock available in the pet shops.

4. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    I love the look of the englishs over the skinny un puffy looking pet budgies. Some show breeder online not too long ago *put me in my place* that theres no such thing as an english one though so im really careful who i say it to since obviously it touched someones nerves lol!

5. Birdman18

Birdman18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Queens, NY
    yeah, i have 4 they actually recently started putting eggs but it wasn't a successful incubation. i actually thought about hatching them in the bator.

6. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    I'm looking for someone to sell me a few "regular" parakeets!

LOL

7. First To Hatch

Apr 30, 2008
    New York
    The BAA doesn't have a good list of breeders I kinda wanted to find someone on here that can ship me to pairs I don't think I really care if they're show quality but depending how much extra it would cost I might pay the few extra bucks.

8. First To Hatch

Apr 30, 2008
    New York
    Quote:Are the eggs fertile cause I read its hard to incubate eggs cause they got so many feathers I heard if you scissors and cut around their vent areas just a bit to make it less fluffy it helps.

9. AimsChickies

AimsChickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    SW Florida
    I have english budgies, but I dont have any breeder pairs for sale right now. I have a very pretty set of blue on eggs. Yea, english budgies and american budgies (parakeets) all the same bird, just bred for different characteristics

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  10. First To Hatch

Apr 30, 2008
    New York
    I like the look of the english budgie over the normal parakeets sold at pet stores, plus with the english budgie it comes from a breeder and although they like 7-8 years they're prolly healthier and I'm reading that most come with pedigrees.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by