Does anyone on here know when barred rock hens start laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickadee-23, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Chickadee-23

Chickadee-23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    South Carolina
    I have 4 of them, their about 20 weeks old havn't layed any eggs yet. 2 have been sitting in next box for about 2 days, they come out & go back in, does this mean there getting ready to lay? Its my first time with this kind of breed I have only own game bantams. Theres a rooster with them, but hes a buff orpington, plus hes still young hasn't mounted them yet lol, How many eggs do they lay a day? How often do they go broody? Thanks

2. TheWeaver

TheWeaver Out Of The Brooder

I have some huge barred rock naked necks and I think they started laying at about 26 or 28 weeks old. Their combs and wattles became a much brighter color red and their wattles became huge. Sometimes they sneak away and hide a nest on you but if you're a keen chicken watcher you'll be able to hear their 'egg song.' WOP WOP WOP WOP WOP (I laid an egg.)

3. Chickadee-23

Chickadee-23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    South Carolina
    Ok thanks I got 6 to 8 more weeks, Someone told me if i put gofballs or fake eggs in their they will lay faster is that true? I give them laying crumbles its purina brand from Tractor supply, i also give them scratch, bread, & some fruit, should i be giving them anything else? Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by