1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does anyone order and raise baby chicks in the winter?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chick4chix, Sep 12, 2009.

1. chick4chix

chick4chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    So Cal
    Just curious- does anyone recommend ordering and raising baby chicks in the wintertime? Everything I've read seems to say to wait until Spring. I live in a very mild climate Southern California- but even here it gets cold at night in the winter. What about letting a broody do it in the winter- does that help? Thanks...

2. imaleomom

imaleomom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    SC
    I did it last winter, but we live in a place with very mild weather.

We incubate and hatch ....when they get old enough we take them outside during the warmest part of the day. Otherwise, they stay in.

Good luck!
    Just wanted to say it can be done! Let us know what you do.

3. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I did it last year and will be doing it again. i brood in my garage or basement sometimes both lol But this year it will only be for orders and working on my breeds. not for spring sale like last year. That was way to many [​IMG]

4. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    Me too! They are perfect size when it starts to warm up..Also I have noticed they seem to have a little more size (gurth)To them probly because they can eat some scrath in the cooler weather.. [​IMG]

5. chick4chix

chick4chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    So Cal
    Thanks- That's what I was hoping to do- hatch and raise. My grandkids really want me to get bearded silkies (me too) so thought it would be fun to hatch them myself inside then put them outside. Thanks for all the encouragement [​IMG][​IMG]

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have a couple of times. I kept the brooder covered in my barn. The chicks did great. I made a bracket for my brooder lamp so when I covered the brooder, the cover was not close to the lamp so there could be no fires. Now I have a coop for my chicks and put their brooder in their coop. When the chicks get big enough then they are put in with the main flock and the chick coop is ready for more chicks.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  7. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    I hatched in November last year and now have a nice laying flock! I will be hatching again this winter, working on my breeds.

8. crazyhen

crazyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    everyone seems so positive about winter hatches but not me. It was impossible to get my coop warm enough so they had to stay inside. Yuck the chick dust was terrible it took weeks to get it out of the house. They do tend to lay earlier but they aren't quite as mature so you are more likely to have prolapses with them. I think the ideal time to order is about late March. Now if you have a broody thats a whole different matter. She will keep them warm. But the broody does not go that way when we want. Only on their own timetable. In a warm climate if you can get your brooder up to 95 without drafts and have a very accessible place; i would probably try for it. LOL I love chicks. Gloria Jean

9. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    I'm just about dead center Riverside cty, provided you're in the same sort of cool but not cold, they'll do fine, you just may need to put them in the garage a few nights, and make sure they don't rain chill. I got my chicks in Jan, and they did great, I wanted them large enough to handle the early April heat.

10. Kovalciks Chickens

Kovalciks Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Richmond, Michigan
    they should do fine i have six in the brooder that are only a week old in my room. When the get older and it gets colder i will put them out in my barn with a heatlamp and place with no drafts. I live in Michigan so i think theyll do fine.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by