Does anyone out there have a Deer, SHOW YOUR PICS!!!! ****PICTURES***

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by zatsdeb, Apr 24, 2009.

1. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    I saw a deer on another members site, and thought, I wonder if anyone else has a deer?
    ours is Lily, a european fallow deer, we have had her for 3 years, showed up one day. a neighbor down the road owned her and they had a minature donkey she was apparently raised with, they got rid of the donkey and the deer left, then she showed up at my house. she jumped the fence and was in with my donkeys, that was over 3 years ago, and she goes back and forth between the donkeys and the goats. she doesn't jump the fence anymore, she loves it here.
    [​IMG]

2. SportTees

SportTees Chillin' With My Peeps

How cool I always wanted a fallow deer but can't afford one- there expensive what luck to get one for FREE!

3. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    Deer? Why yes, the freezer is slap full! We have 2 bucks at the taxidermist now and 4 big bucks hanging in here on the wall now. [​IMG]

We live off of deer so yes, we have lots. My husband is a faithful hunter.

I love deer though, there are lots here. I see them out in the field almost daily and when I am out riding horses you can ride almost right to them before they scamper away.

There is a man down the road that raises deer in a pen. They have about 10 I think.

4. zatsdeb

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    Quote:My stepson is a hunter too, he always said that my lily looks quite tasty! I tell him no!!!

5. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    The fallow deer here are running the white tails off. We shot a fallow deer and have it in the freezer. The fallow we got had huge moose like horns. There is no limit or hunting season on those here.

PS Your deer is so cute. I've seen those in Germany when I lived there.
    Chicken Fried Backstrap with gravy is my favorite!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. zatsdeb

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    its funny that the whitetails are not attracted to my lily, when she goes in heat thats when she is lovey dovey to the donkeys, and goats...
    deer come right up to our alfalfa field, but never bat an eye at her.
    I guess the other people had another one too, but who knows where it went.
    I don't think I would keep a buck, I have seen those horns also!!!
    we knew of someone who had a bunch of does and a buck and he had come home one day and the buck had killed a bunch of does, they were all penned up together.
    Don't think I would raise them though.
    my stepson would eat the excess also, but he makes deer chili.

7. Picky Chicky

Picky Chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    I would absolutely love to keep a pet deer but I think it would disappear as we have a lot of hunters that hunt right up to our property line... most of them are good people, but you always get that one rotten apple.

Yours is beautiful! [​IMG]

8. zatsdeb

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    Quote:we put up a very tall fence around our entire property, excluding the alfalfa field, so I feel better now. I am glad she always has her spots also, so you would think if she had gotten out that any respectable hunter would not shoot anything with spots!!!
    I was more worried that she would get hit by a car because we have a few that really zip fast down our country road!!!
    Sometimes I want to put up speed bumps!!!

9. Picky Chicky

Picky Chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    Quote:We're working on a fence (I swear it feels like we'll never finish)... so maaaaaybe I might be able to convince DH that we need a deer! And a goat. And.. .and... and... hehe

We're having the same problem with our country road too! My DH is a deputy and he really likes to crack down on them when he sees it. It's a wonder we haven't answered our door for a flaming bag of poo yet! [​IMG]

(Good thing our fence will include gating our driveway)

10. Jazlyn

Jazlyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2007
    South Mississippi
    I just released my first two wildlife rehab. deer. They are White Tailes. The doe is realy ready to be a wild deer but the buck just assume be a goat. Milley is the doe and Deery is the poor sweet buck.

Your girl sure is a lucky one!

This is Deery and his "mom".
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is Milley the day it snowed at first she loved it....
    [​IMG]

Milley as a baby.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by