Does anyone raise Dexters?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by miss_thenorth, Jun 13, 2008.

1. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    a friend of mine has a dexter that is ready to calve, and wanted to know if i would be interested. i'm kinda considering it--i could do alot more with cows milk than with goats milk. would a dexter be able to share pasture of about two acres with two horses? the horses get hay supplemented with their grazing., and the cow could too. It would only work for me if they could share pasture with the horses.

any feedback, good and bad is welcome

2. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I don't know too much about cows, but I would say two acres is plenty for them. Especially with extra hay. My friend used to have a few horse and a few cows in about the same size area and they got along wonderfully. I believe he did also feed them all grain too.

3. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I've read that a small breed of cow, such as a Dexter, needs much less pasture space than a large breed. I would say go for it!

4. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Go for it... but really, the dual purpose in Dexters has really gone the way of the buffalo and I'd consider them more a beef cow now. If you really want milk, get a Jersey or Guernsey. They're small like Dexters.

5. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    I'll second the vote for a Jersey over a dexter.

6. hazelton farms

hazelton farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    NC
    Yes on the Dexter. Not only that, but Dexters are one of few types that most likely have A2 type of milk protein...which is the GOOD kind for you. You'd be doing yourself a world of good with that Dexter milk. You should be able to get about a gallon and a half out of her a day. To me, that'd be worth it! I've got three goats I'm milking now for that amount. I will say, I have a jersey heifer that's bred now so it'll be a while till we get her milk, but if I had the chance to get a Dexter, I would JUMP at it in a heart beat! We've got neighbors down the road with nine kids and they've got a Dexter they milk. Sweet and pudding her her bull calf grew up big enough for them to process just fine as well.

Stacy

7. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Part of it depends on the disposition of your horses toward cattle. Some horses will run a cow in their pasture ragged.

I have two Dexters and have not yet put them with my horses, but am planning to do so soon. However, they will be in 35 acres so the cows should be able to avoid the horses if they they want to.

So your pasture size would be the only concern I might have. Also realize that you might need a really short water tank - my small Dexter can't drink out of standard size stock tank - she's too short. Hence, I may sell the small one before winter, because I don't have a good way to water her. I have to use a propane tank heater, and it won't fit in a shorty tank.

Do you have a place that you can setup a creep feeder for the calf? That may be something else to consider.

8. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Quote:Being a Dexter or Dexter lineage does not mean they are A2. Jerseys are just as likely to be A2 positive.

One Dairy board I am on is showing Dexters are very mixed results for A1 or A2. Only way to know for certain is by testing.

Goats are A2 producers also.

9. hazelton farms

hazelton farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    NC
    I don't know if we're on the same board, but jerseys are not just as likely, the European breeds are all LESS likely, but true on the testing part, that's the only way to find out for sure.

Stacy

10. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    What is A2 milk? What does that mean?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by