Does anyone raise Dominiques?

chickensrkewl

Hatching
12 Years
Jan 5, 2008
Texas
I was thinking of raising Dominique chickens this year. I have at this time three hens (all different, and being new to this, am pretty unsure what kind they are) and a rooster.

I have read good things about these chickens and their temperament, but would like to get information from someone who raises them.

Thanks in advance,
Christy

Well, at one time I thought I did, lol! mine are actually Barred Rocks but I believe Wolfpacker has Dominiques..you could pm him
smile.png

I have Dom's and love them as with the weather here in Kansas their combs wont freeze like the taller combs do...their temperment is great and I havent had any problems with them at all...I have 1 that is a lap chicken and her name is Sweetheart ...all of them have been here since they were a day old and they are 8 mths now and lay well too when its not so cold and short days...they will start up again soon and they lay good size eggs too...I have Barred rocks too and their combs get some frostbte on the tips...not the Dom's

We have seven young Dominique hens. Very social with other chickens, tolerant of bipeds without wings. Two sing and chatter constantly (I imagine they're saying "oh, you're cleaning the coop again - don't miss the corner". "someone is in my nesting box", "I don't like the Amerucana rooster, but the Cuckoo Maran is sweet", "hey, laid an egg for you"). Eggs are on the small side and they took about six months to start laying. Stay close to the coop and often with each other.
I understand they're dual pupose, but seem small for a meal.

I have Dominiques. I love them, they have super personalities, are friendly and curious, and lay large brown eggs. They also do well in the cold weather we get out here. I recommend them.

Thank you all so much !

I am so excited about getting a bigger chicken family.If they are easy going , then these are the chickens for me.

I hand raised my chickens , and my hens are very sweet, but my rooster is so mean.
He likes to try to take chunks out of my leg when I go in to clean or feed. I love to hear him crow, though, and when he isn't being territorial, he is a very sweet guy.

Christy

Ditto all the nice things about dominques.

I have 2 in my flock of 8 pullets and they are the most friendly of the bunch. Very docile and friendly and pretty too! And they have the nicest fluffy chicken panties. To me they just are the image of a chicken - big and fluffy.

Three of our nine poulets are dominiques. They are great girls, very friendly and docile. We,ve had them since they were a day old, they are 8 months now and started laying at 6 months. Their eggs are medium size and a beautiful brown.

Back
Top Bottom