Does anyone raise mourning doves?

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by sticks22, Aug 31, 2008.

1. sticks22

sticks22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    Grove, oklahoma
    Im thinking of tring to raise some mourning doves. Does anyone here raise them? What kinds of coops do I need? Or, are there any special diets that they need?

2. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they are protected and cannot be kept without a license.

3. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    You are so right need a federal permit, and some states. Ohio for sure.
    If you get a permit Feed a dove or pigeon diet. Found in most feed stores.

They can NOT be taken from the wild!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  4. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

i "kinda" raise them hahaha [​IMG][​IMG]
    i have bout 30 of them that THINK they live here with my other birds,,haha,, i even give a few of them a scratch behind the head.[​IMG]

5. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    I'm with Jim! I "raise" them simply because they adopted m forsythia as home!

6. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* I have them, several pairs, in the yard, wild. Did you know doves mate for life?? And may possibly live as long as 2O years--(barring cats, hawks, injuries and illnesses, natch!!) Surprised the heck out of me!!

7. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

i have about 5 nests around my house of them,,, i have a PRETTY white 1.,, and they get along with the "others" better then the pigeons the pet store gave us because they were brought in by an lady who saw the mommy hit by a car,,and since the pet store couldnt have any wild animals,,, they picked my "sucker" wife,,hahaha,,,man talk bout UGLY babies,,hehe [​IMG]

8. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have ring neck doves, which are similar to mourning doves. They make pretty neat pets and most of mine are quite tame. I have four at home. They are very easy to keep, not messy, and I love the noise they make. I keep mine in a large rabbit hutch/aviary and I feed them layer pellets. I've had them for many years now and they produce young every spring and summer!

9. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    i've raised a morning dove chick that fell out of it's nest and once it was ready to be on it's own it left on it's own [​IMG] it still comes by my parents house and coos on the roof so cute [​IMG] we no it's him cuz his wings tips were white

but now i have diamond doves they are cuties to [​IMG]

10. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    We have a mated pair that i watch every year. I die a million deaths every year because of dove hunting season. They always seem to make it threw though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by