1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

does anyone sell processed.......

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by lobb40118, Jan 16, 2009.

1. lobb40118

lobb40118 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Fill in blank? curious if anyone sells already processed chickens, rabbits, quail, pheasant, turkey, giraffe...etc

I see a lot of people wanting various meat items and not having the space, time, or whatever to do it themselves. maybe we could get a post going where people could sell their meat and ship it to wherever. a little dry ice and should be an easy cheap ship. Just curious. there are many things i would like to raise but my current situation prohibits it I alrady have a mini farm in my small surburban yard...lol.. I would like some rabbit and quail and pheasant and chicken just raise egg layers right now myself because of space and time.

2. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    that would be cool but I heard that the dry ice shipping thing is far from cheap! maybe we could set up a listing for local pick up???

3. lobb40118

Dec 1, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    local pick up would be cool too. just brainstorming an online farmers market kinda thing.

4. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    that would be very cool a virtual farmers market. with addresses or names and locations and pics.....

5. lobb40118

Dec 1, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    yeah, maybe we could have a section on here, a real farmers market with various meat and veggies and fruit and etc...... i want to try some home grown quail and pheasant (various types) but have no more space to raise things. It would also be easier to just pay a bit extra to buy processed and it would help out the BYC economy. make our own little world order here...lol

6. lobb40118

Dec 1, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    So does anyone in the indianapolis area have processed......fill in blank..... for sale?

7. lobb40118

Dec 1, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    so only me and ahappychick think this is a good idea?

8. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I'm sure more people will like the idea as well but we are probably preaching to the choir so to speak since most of us probably grow and raise what we eat. I would love to have something that was more for the non chicken public, then again BYC forum posts do come up on google easily enough.... Anyway I grow all sorts of veggies and am trying fruits and berries this year as well. I am hoping to have a stand on Sat. at my local farmers market there is only one organic grower in the bunch and he skips many weekends so I think I would do well....

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  9. lobb40118

Dec 1, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    in my little surburban house we have 2 apple trees , a cherry tree, we grow a garden, i now have egg layers and peafowl for entertainment and possible income once they get a bit older. I am just experimenting with concepts. I know we all want to sustain ourselves or at least get better quality food with the least government intervention. I will be curious how this thread does.

10. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Im starting up a quail farm in Sharpsburg, MD. We'll be operational in late spring. I can sell dressed quail for $7 a bird on the farm but to ship or sell over state lines, it must be USDA certified. I did find a mennonite farmer down the road that has a USDA facility and Im working on him to process some birds for me. Im very excited to have quail and heirloom tomatoes (we're planting 2 acres) available to restaurants and local customers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by