Does anyone sell silkies in my area?

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by pattee, May 31, 2008.

1. pattee

pattee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Which is Seattle area?
    I've been told my silkie may not be a silkie, and I so want one!!!!

2. alex

alex Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    what does your silkie look like...?
    Pictures?
    And i live in Everett, Washinton!!!

3. pattee

Apr 18, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hi these are pictures of my Buff silkie bantam~
    Anyway that's what she's supposed to be. Do you have and idea? I have wanted silkies for so long. Do you have babies?

Pat

4. love-my-wolves

love-my-wolves Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Front Royal, VA
    It looks like a silkie to me. Does it have black skin and 5 toes? That is a dead giveaway. Steph

5. alabama girl

alabama girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Auburn, Al
    Looks more like a partridge cochin to me, I don't think it has 5 toes.

6. pattee

Apr 18, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    I know I am so confused!!!
    I want a silkie no matter what!
    Of course I'll keep this little baby also [​IMG]

7. alabama girl

alabama girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Auburn, Al
    I wish I could help, I will be hatching some soon, but you are too far. Have you checked out mypetchicken.com, they claim to be 90% positive about their sexing bantams too. BYC has several silkie breeders I know two very nice ones, Marie-Martin and FluffnStuff. Good luck

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Looks like a pet quality buff silkie to me. Does it have a 5th toe? I have a male buff silkie who kind of looks like that and has no crest what so ever.

Currently I have a trio of black silkies and 8 buff silkies, all pet quality. I will have to downsize these birds at some point this summer (July-August), but for now, none are on the auction block except three boys. I'm pretty sure you don't want a boy if you live in Seattle though. They are 11 weeks old. I'm in Everett about 20 min north of the UW campus.

9. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Quote:That bird looked like none of the silkies that have passed through my silkie coop but
    that only 15 to 20 birds now. If you say it's a pet quality silkie than I'm sorry I added
    to pattee's silkie anxieties.

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Well, I could always be wrong!

I personally wouldn't be surprised if some of these buff silkies were out crossed to buff cochins in attempt to make the feet feathering better or to help with color. The one I currently have that has no crest, (the first one actually that I've had with no crest), has feathers coming off his feet like the cochins do. He also has light gray skin rather than black, and as a chick, had a white tipped beak. At the moment the closest pic I have of crestless is below. Excuse the turkey who for some reason has a fascination with the silkie brooder.

Click to zoom in full size to the bird who is in the door way.

And looks like the chick next to the silkie in the first pic is going to be one early maturing roo!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by