does anyone sell their cookbooks??

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by CranberryCreekFarm, Jun 28, 2011.

1. CranberryCreekFarm

CranberryCreekFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Maine
    I am curious. I am debating compiling a few cooking/baking/canning books from the recipes I have been using and selling them from our farm. What do you all think? If I printed and illustrated them myself, I could sell them for pretty cheap.

2. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Ohio
    I dont think I have ever sold any.. just collect them. LOL
    I did summit some recipes to one a church was doing and bought them for my boys for christmas one year.
    They dont live at home anymore.I always told them they better learn to cook cause alot of girls dont cook anymore.
    Now they have a cook book with their mothers recipes in them.Their wives love them.

3. I say go for it. There is cheap software that we use called "living cookbook" which we use to store our recipes (which we also back up on another drive but thats another story that involves losing everything and not being backed up....anyways....). Anyways, you can use living cookbook to drag recipes into a cookbook or calendar format...so they do all the work for you....then you drop in photos where they are set to go in the template...etc...you get the idea. The software does the work, so it is easy. Then print out a few and see if they sell.

I think the software is around 35-40 bucks.

I say this as i think a calendar with farm pictures might do really well around the new year. Each month could have a canning recipe for what is in season, or a cooking recipe, or ???

Goodluck.

Anna

4. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

I hang out on a Cuban cigar BB. A couple years ago the guys decided to have an auction to raise money for Operation Smile.

https://secure.operationsmile.org/s...pc&utm_term=Operation Smile&utm_campaign=paid

There are some heavy hitters on that BB that really have been smoking and collecting Cuban cigars a long time - they were auctioning off old boxes, 5 packs and assortments of rare and very well aged cigars. Some guys auctioned off fine humidors and aged wines from their cellars. I decided to take a lot of my more popular online recipes and compact them into 1 or 2 page friendly versions with photos and get them into MS Word and Apple Works format. I came up with 80 recipes (with color photos). I printed them out, placed them back to back in plastic sleeves and into hefty 3 ring binders. It was a lot of work, it was a labor of love. I sold four cookbooks and people that lost out on the auctions wanted them just the same, I sold four more to those people for their high bids. It cost me about as much money to make and ship them as I got in the auctions - I also included bags of biscotti or cheese wafers and a small handful of petite coronas - but it was a lot of fun too, being they all went out (autographed) and were given as Christmas gifts made my efforts feel especially "seasonal". I still have a master copy of it around, but phew it's a monster putting one of them together... I still get thank you letters from the kids that benefitted for my effort.

I did her up in sleeves so you could use the cookbook right on the kitchen counter and not mess up the paper sheets, or you could remove the recipe and stick it on a cupboard door while working. Seemed like the thing to do at the time.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by