Does anyone successfully collect their eggs less often than daily?

Sheila

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jul 23, 2007
NW MA
The situation is that we have the choice of keeping our hens where we are currently living or taking them to a barn on the property we will be moving to, but aren't sure how soon.

There they would have three times the indoor space in an old barn that has a hayloft above (warmer), while here, they are on the top of a windy hill in a smaller and less comfy coop, which was rough last year. We are in NW MA.

If we take them to the barn, they would not get out as often (only when we are working there), but the bigger question is whether we are taking too big a chance by not collecting eggs daily. They have never eaten eggs, and I have even picked up several from the floor that were laid while roosting but never touched.

I have mixed feelings and am wondering if anyone has had success with such a situation.

Thanks.

I haven't have that situtation but am looking at it now (we are thinking of moving to a seperate section of the property). I've went 2 or 3 days without collecting and it has been fine, the eggs just get a little dirtier.

I skipped a day collecting when we were away and one of the eggs were pecked. Not eaten but a hole pecked in it as if she wanted an empty nest when she sat down. Sometimes theres one overnight if someone lays after I collect in the afternoon. Right now I have 2 boxes for the 3 laying. If they wont get out often at the new place just make sure theres plenty of room inside so they dont get bored and start pecking each other.

We've had to change our plans this year and after building our cop and run, and instaling all the chickens in it, we ended up having to forget about building the house. So, we are spending a lot of time and energy driving the 160 miles a couple of times a week.
We fill the 5 gal and 3 gal waterer, and a 5 gal feeder, along with leaving some treats and scratch in the run. We go on the weekend, from Friday eve to Sunday eve, and then on wednesday I go for the day.
After making sure that the feeder and waterers are full I collect ALL the eggs. We have 17 hens. They lay an average of 12-15 eggs a day, so sometimes there are a lot of eggs in the nests, but they are all just fine. So don't worry about having to wait for a few days.

Quote:
Thank you, thank you. Our round-trip is about 40 miles, not nearly as long. Finished tightening up their barn today (just got back), and it is a great space, previously occupied by a few cows. There was some musty old hay that we spread out and will leave till they add to it, then take to the compost pile. I hope the shock doesn't set back their laying. I seem to have the only chickens around here who still are.

Can you really raccoon-proof the loft? I haven't seen many raccoon-proof (or easily raccoon-proof-able) haylofts in my life, and that is *precisely* where raccoons like to spend their days as winter approaches...

Just a thought,

Pat

Egg-eating is a problem you really don't want to deal with. If you leave the eggs in the coop, and the hens aren't getting enough calcium, the risk for egg-eating is a lot greater. Once hens get a taste for their own eggs, it's very difficult to discourage them.

If you're going to do this, make sure they get some oyster shell for free choice.

I'm also worried about the security of your hens in the barn, but you've already addressed that to another poster.

Good luck with this!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom