1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does anyone supplement with Kelp?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ChickenAl, Jun 19, 2011.

1. ChickenAl

ChickenAl Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    Just ordered kelp to add to the feed for out 6 pullets. I heard it is a good thing to add. Has anyone had experience with kelp?

I also gave them kefir mixed with oats for the first time tonight. I had been giving them organic yogurt but wanted to try the kefir.

2. ChickenAl

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    Thought I'd give this a bump as I got the kelp in today. Says to sprinkle it on dog and cat food too. Hoping somebody has tried it and can give me some advice.

3. Medicine Man

Medicine Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2010
    Apple Hill
    I use it in my feed formula. The generally recommended inclusion limit from most experts is 1% (by weight) due to selenium.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2011
  4. ChickenAl

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    Medicine Man, thanks for the info. Going to to keep it at the 1% level. Seems like I can't go wrong with that. Also means the 1.5lbs I bought as a test will last a while.

5. carolinasculpture

carolinasculpture Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Hi! Heard the 1% deal and didn't add a lot, but, believe it or not, we had some lying around the house so I put some in to the mix. The chicks don't root around for it, but it doesn't get left on the bottom either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by