Does anyone understand rooster??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickengirlnm, Oct 23, 2007.

1. chickengirlnm

chickengirlnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    clovis, new mexico
    Every morning its the samething here -- i let my chickens out of the coop and they go running around like crazy,
    my rooster Clyde chases the hens with both wings dragging rhe ground ,all puffed up, and when he gets close to one will jump kinda pull a head feather and than off to chase another one !! he is a banty and all but one hen is a standard size
    If he just reminding them " I am the man around here?"
    he is not trying to breed them, he is not hurting them and he normally stops after he has chased a few of them.
    Just wondering what the little guy was trying to tell them.
    He has never done this to me, but has done it to my DH once ( only charging at his foot - was to funny to watch this little roo trying to " scare " my DH )
    oh well it seems Clyde finds new ways to confuse me but I love the little guy.

Julie

2. LynnGrigg

LynnGrigg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    Winston Salem, NC
    Those roos are just a randy/rowdy bunch in the morning. Mine do that too. Most of the actual breeding seems to take place much later in the day

3. chickengirlnm

Sep 4, 2007
    clovis, new mexico
    well i am sure he is not breeding anyone since this crew is only a few months old ( 4 months i think )
    maybe he is just cranky in the morning LOL
    i guess when i go out there to wake them up i will start bring him coffee

julie

4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    He's reaffirming his dominance, reminding the hens who is boss, in case they forgot overnight! [​IMG]

Mine do it too.

5. Ma

Ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Camanche, Iowa
    Ditto.

It is the same every morning, like a ritual now.

I am relieved that my flock is "normal"....[​IMG]

6. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    He is doing the mating dance, however he is just a little young to get the mating done.
    Don't hold your breath to long though, cause the mating will follow the dance before long. The quality of the dance will improve also.... Gotta love those roo's!

bigzio

7. chickengirlnm

Sep 4, 2007
    clovis, new mexico
    well BIGZIO i am thankful it is the dance of love but since he is dancing with girls that are bigger than him I am sure there will be no real mating or babies [​IMG]
    but I am real bummed that he has done the dance of love toward my DH's foot and not to me - I am the one who takes of them LOL
    oh well either way it sure is funny to watch him !!

Julie

8. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:Hopefully that means he sees you as dominant to him and DH is just another conquest for him [​IMG] let DH know your miniroo thinks DH is one of HIS hens

9. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:Big girls need love too [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. chickengirlnm

Sep 4, 2007
    clovis, new mexico
    I am sure DH is going to love hearing he is just another hen in the flock LOL
    I know big girls need love to but I really hope he can be a daddy LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by