Does anyone use a laboratory to sex their silkies?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bauerdog, Apr 26, 2016.

1. bauerdog

bauerdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2012
    central jersey
    Hi all! A couple years ago I recall someone mentioning that they send a feather off of their Silkie chicks to a lab for sexing. Does anyone do this? I have just three chicks I would like to do this with, so the cost shouldn't be too bad.

2. chicken4prez

chicken4prez Overrun With Chickens

I haven't done that. Welcome to BYC!

We did order chicks that were already sexed. Maybe thats what they do… I just learned something new!

3. bauerdog

Sep 6, 2012
    central jersey
    Thanks for the welcome. The sexed chicks from the hatcheries are sexed by a person looking into their vents at their "private" parts. I don't think I would be able to be very successful that way. So I was hoping someone who has used a lab would share more information

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  4. redapple

redapple Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2016
    Moraga,ca
    $25
    Love ok ing for actual antibodies used in their ELISA assay. I wanted to try it at work since I work in a lab. Getting blood sounds hard. Alternatively DNA testing in theory should be inexpensive but looking for the protocol online.

Yes I'm obsessed with knowing because what if I'm the 10% who accidentally gets a roo.

http://www.avianbiotech.com/Pricing.htm

5. redapple

Apr 29, 2016
    Moraga,ca
    oops the dot blot assay is a DNA assay as well. Very inexpensive reagents and test to run in a lab. detecting the female only chromosome.

6. bauerdog

Sep 6, 2012
    central jersey

Just wait til you try hatching! Each chick is a surprise. One hatch of 5 polish chicks all wound up male. Since silkies take FOREVER to figure out the sexes, I figured paying a little for a lab to just tell me would be awesome. They can get DNA off the root of the plucked feather, right? Does this test sound accurate to you?

7. redapple

Apr 29, 2016
    Moraga,ca
    Should be 100% as longs as no one mixes up samples.
    Females have 2 different chromosomes, males have 2 of the same ones. Great opportunity for a small lab to setup. Even uses the blood from the hatched egg.

8. bauerdog

Sep 6, 2012
    central jersey
    Sounds pretty cool. Just $25/bird sounds a bit steep. Whomever originally posted about lab testing said it as about $10/ bird. Just not sure where she said she sent them...

9. kirkie

kirkie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2015
    Palouse, WA
    Washington State University - Avian Health and Food Safty Lab does sexing with PCR from blood or feathers for $16 in state $24 out of state. Also charge a $10 accession fee for one bird or multiple birds.

http://waddl.vetmed.wsu.edu/avian/avian-lab-puyallup

10. bauerdog

Sep 6, 2012
    central jersey
    Thanks! Do you think New Jersey would have something like this? Or maybe Antech Diagnostics or Idexx?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by