Does anyone use an R-COM incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PeppermintHen, May 22, 2008.

1. PeppermintHen

PeppermintHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2007
    San Antonio, TX
    I'm a vary small time in the chicken area. I was thinking of of buying one of those R-COM incubators off ebay where the bator does everything automatically, like the count down, the humidity control, the turning, the stop turning 2 days before the hatch. Has anyone had any downfalls with this incubatoe before I even buy it? Thanks -- Yvette

2. Azure

Azure Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2008
    UK
    I bought one of these in March and it is brilliant!! AlthoughI would recommend if you can, get the 2008 model as the 2007 and older ones needs frequent new humidity pads and they are very expensive. ( £6.95 each)

But mine does exactly what it says on the tin [​IMG] I just choose the bird type from the control panel and click incubate then wait [​IMG] Mine is the r-com pro 20 but I have used it on automatic and on manual mode and am thrilled.

But you do need to top up the water every day or so depending on the weather, and make sure that the eggs turn as it uses a sliding base to turn them so some like my heavy goose and turkey eggs need to be placed carefully to make sure they turn well. But it has alarms for the water level and test turn so on the whole its the best ever, outshines my Brinsea ones!

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  3. Nugget

Nugget Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2007
    I got an r-com mini in April and we've hatched 5 out of 5 eggs so far. It's great!

4. coopist

coopist Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    Midwest U.S.
    Once you get them calibrated, as Azure says, they're great, utterly worry- free incubators. You can control the temperature to an incredibly precise degree in either C or F. Want to incubate at exactly 99.7 F ? Well, you can. Want to set humidity to exactly 48%? No problem-- you do it at the touch of a button. But it does play a little electronic song every time it turns the eggs. That's the only thing I don't like.

5. Jubaby

Jubaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    West Texas
    I really wanted to buy one of these. But the reason I didn't is because it only holds 20 eggs, and I needed one that held 24, since the eggs I bought came by the dozen.

If they make a larger size one, then I'll definitely want to buy it.

6. Azure

Azure Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2008
    UK
    yep strange that its 20 but not 24 metric not imperial I guess,

I like the tune, but I can't for the life of me figure out when its going to turn, on turkey mode it seems to turn 3hours, then 1 hr then 3hrs then every hour lol, maybe its random?

7. coopist

coopist Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    Midwest U.S.
    Quote:They easily hold 24 bantam eggs, but only about 18 standard large eggs.

8. Jubaby

Jubaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    West Texas
    Yeah - and mine are standard eggs. I just couldn't see paying that price for one that wouldn't hold very many eggs. So I got the Genesis 1588 and it holds 42 eggs in the turner, for less than half the price.

It seems to be holding temp and humidity perfectly.

9. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    Yes, a styrofoam incubator will "hold" humidity pretty well if you don't lift the lid. But you can't push a button and have it *go* immediately and precisely to the humidity level you want--IMO the features on the RCom are probably worth the price in the end. But, sure, you can save a lot of money with a styrofoam, and I don't blame you for wanting a bator that holds more eggs. I have 2 styrofoam incubators too. But when I have a hatch that really matters--they go in the RCom [​IMG]

10. Debi Necaise

Debi Necaise New Egg

Feb 19, 2016
    I have just bought the Rcom pro 10. It seems to be great. Haven't put anything in it yet. Wanting to make sure. I just cant figure out the turning and angle. I would appreciate any help with this problem if possible.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by