Does anyone use big bowls for waterers?

Pug Momma

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 31, 2009
Auburn, WA
I have seen people in my neighborhood who use a big iron bowl for a waterer...Can anyone enlighten me on pros and cons of big bowl vs. automatic waterer?

I use big bowls, old pull out refridgerator drawers (yes a ghetto chicken owner! jk) The only bad thing about them is that you can't hang them up so chickens might get into them. If they are big enough, chickens might perch on them, getting muck, poop, and dirt into it. Otherwise, they work just fine for me.

if you talking for chickens, you have to watch for drowning I lost a few free range chicks that way last year, they jump up to get a drink a fell in a couldn't get out.

Those old pull out refridgerator drawers are the BEST. I have lost all mine over the years, but never found anything as good to use in comparison. No spills no mess with those heavy things!

I use large bowls but they always get knocked over so i think the fridge pull outs are a great idea! Now, where to find one....
th.gif

As long as no chicks are out, I use those rubber hog bowls. The small ones, and just tip them over and brush out to clean. Great for frozen weather, as you can just throw it on the floor and refill!

Thanks everyone! What a nice set of replies to my first real post on here.
Looking forward to more chatting in the future!

Quote:
Same here. These rubber bowls are awesome. In the winter they freeze during the day and during the night. You turn them over, step in the middle, out pops the ice block and you fill them up again. And because they are black rubber, if the sun is out, they really generated some heat keeping the water from freezing.

Quote:
Same here. These rubber bowls are awesome. In the winter they freeze during the day and during the night. You turn them over, step in the middle, out pops the ice block and you fill them up again. And because they are black rubber, if the sun is out, they really generated some heat keeping the water from freezing.

ditto

welcome-byc.gif
!

I use rectangular dishpans from the dollar store. I bring them in once a week for a bleach job. As long as they are full of water they don't tip them. I do not use them until all danger of drowning is past, say 16-18 weeks. And for those that young, I don't fill it all the way. I do put it on bricks, so it stays cleaner.

Back
Top Bottom