Does anyone use Breeding software?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by celticfarmer, Nov 24, 2010.

1. celticfarmer

celticfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2009
    Northern MN
    I am thinking about starting up my own breeding situation and I am wondering if anyone is using breeding software.

And if so, which ones?

Or maybe I am over complicating it and I don't need it.

What are your thoughts/experiences?

[​IMG]

2. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Excel works nicely, or you can just write stuff down in a notebook like the old timers. There are some breeding things out there on exotic birds, I tried using it once or twice.. Prefer Excel/notebook route though.

-Daniel

3. celticfarmer

celticfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2009
    Northern MN
    So there is really no point to actually using the breeding software?

I make spread sheets all the time, if Excel works just fine maybe I will try that.

4. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:Some might find it easier, but a notebook/excel works just fine.. For our breeding records we mainly just had it laid out like Say..

Pure
    Cock Hen] Mark (may also figure in wingband/legband to be 100% on which bird. But we knew anyway.)
    Shamo Shamo Left-in.

Crosses
    Cock Hen] Mark
    Shamo American game Right-in.

So it was fairly simple.. It would get more complicated at times of course, but that was mostly it. I will probably be using more information next coming year when I may start breeding Kraienkoeppes.. Those I figure I will make description's of the breeder birds and see what crops out. Descriptions of what each pair threw that year, and so on.. But that is because they'd be new, and do have a lot that pops up not being selected for so long. Most of the breeds I raise aren't that difficult, except the OEGB (which I am getting rid of). The OEGB if I had raised a lot, would probably keep plumage tabs on them.

5. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Here is a good one! [​IMG]

6. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    We use Kintraks. Easy to use and works well. You can even add pictures.

7. RareBreedFancier

RareBreedFancier Surrounded by Broodies

Nov 5, 2010
    Australia :)
    Quote:Quick but very important question. Can you change the background color from that red? It looks like a good program but I can't use it with that background color because it caused migraines for me.

8. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:Quick but very important question. Can you change the background color from that red? It looks like a good program but I can't use it with that background color because it caused migraines for me.

Most definitely, the next version is going to be a navy blue color. Hope this helps!

9. Brody's Broodello

Brody's Broodello Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Maryland
    Don't use any breeding software.....just let the chickens take care of business the old fashion way.LOL

But seriously, no, just mark the cages, mark the eggs, hatch chicks out in breeding groups etc. use colored marking zip ties for which breedings they came from, and also numbered ABA bands. But you could use excel to keep track of them also.

10. RareBreedFancier

RareBreedFancier Surrounded by Broodies

Nov 5, 2010
    Australia :)

Most definitely, the next version is going to be a navy blue color. Hope this helps!

Blue is perfect [​IMG] I wear corrective blue lenses so that is fantastic for me. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by