Does anyone use heaters in extremely cold weather?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by pappy1264, Dec 7, 2013.

1. pappy1264

pappy1264 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2013
    I live in Massachusetts. My coop is 8x6x5, it is vented at the roof line both front and back, windows on all four sides. I am not using any heat source, but wondering if we get a really cold snap, should I be? I saw this and was wondering if anyone has heard of or used this and would it be a good idea to have something for a stretch of say temps in the single digits or minus digits? This is my first time having chickens, so want to make sure they are safe and ok. http://www.sweeterheater.com/page4.asp

2. jeepgirl13

jeepgirl13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Arizona
    If the coop is draft free and enclosed, and they are fully feathered, your chickies should be ok. I would stay away from heaters. I just read another story on here about how someone ran an extension cord and.heater out to their coop and it burned down in the night. If you feel a heat source is necessary, go with a heat lamp put high up and put some wire fencing over the bulb

3. BrickWall Honey

BrickWall Honey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2013
    Accomac, Va.
    Xs2 good info

4. pappy1264

Apr 7, 2013
    It whole roof line is 'open' (well, it has hardware cloth over it), both front and back, so the air can pass through so to speak. It just feels so cold in there to me. I know not for all the time, but with this crazy weather, if we got a snap of abnormally warm weather, would they still be ok? I thought this heater looked safe.

5. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    Your link shows a brooder lamp that is mainly used with chicks or new born puppies. If you do decide to heat then a heater with a thermostat is recommended. You will be fine without heat provided your birds have a well designed coop, ventilation, and no cold drafts blowing on them. I have a hound heater in the coop but I don't use it. I have a brooder lamp on in a couple locations for egg production and it may provide a heating station if any birds truly need to be warmed.

When it is snowy out and sub zero winds, the birds tend to hang out in the coop. When the winds subside then they like to free range.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. ChickenDude101

ChickenDude101 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2012
    As long as the coop is warm and the chickens seem to have no problem with it I would stay away from the heaters.

7. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    I have been around the sun 63 times.
    I live in Canada (Indian for COLD).
    I do not heat my coop.
    I feed extra corn for extra cold.
    Lost birds to heat never to cold.
    (Do not feed corn to birds when subject to extreme heat)
    Works for me.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  8. pappy1264

Apr 7, 2013
    It feels so cold to me (I know, they have down feathers). Just want to make sure they will be ok. We do have the heater thing under the water, so it does not freeze.

9. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    Watering
    For along time I used heater tape around a bucket with chicken watering nipples. It worked excellent. However me being me I neglected to change the water as often as I should. This is what it looks like and it thermostatically controlled to come on at just above the freezing temperature. You would have to wrap it to suit your particular application if it is viable for your set up. It is available at Home Depot in Canada. This tape could be used in your nest boxes to stop eggs from freezing as well.

[​IMG]

Last year I switched to white rubber contains the wife found somewhere. The freeze solid every night but the ice just pops out of them in the morning and I replenish them with fresh warm water. They have black ones at the feed store that are similar but large than mine.

The chickens congregate around them like people having their morning coffee. The only draw back is my yard is pepper with small ice bergs the size of the buckets.

April looks after that however..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  10. pappy1264

Apr 7, 2013
    I am using the metal one that goes with my galvanized waterer, only goes on if temp goes below freezing, just to keep it from freezing. Working well so far. Ok, no heater. They seem fine, but I am a worry wart!! lol Thanks guys!!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by