does anyone use little giant waterers for chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sore Thumb Suburbanite, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Sore Thumb Suburbanite

Sore Thumb Suburbanite Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    orange county
    I am going to reuse my little giant waterer from my ducks coop for my chicks in about a week...they will be 4 weeks old then... I am concerned they may be able to fit in the waterer and don't want that to happen...dirty...could get chilled ... I see most everyone uses nipple waterers on gravity or auto watterer systems. Does anybody like the little giant waterers over other types? Any reason to avoid them with chicks?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  2. five is my dog

five is my dog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2013
    it should be fine just put marbles or clean rocks in the bottom to prevent them climbing in.

3. Sore Thumb Suburbanite

Sore Thumb Suburbanite Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    orange county
    Wont that affect the water output in this type system? Has anyone used these with younger chicks and had any problems? Maybe I can put a metal cover that gaurds the top middle so the circumference. Of available space in the waterer is only so much.

4. five is my dog

five is my dog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2013
    it wont matter. marbles keep the chicks from getting in and drowning.

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    I've used both the 3-7 gallon ones that are top fill with a screw top, or the 1 gallon ones that you turn over. As five is my dog said, just put marbles or something in there to make it shallower, it doesn't affect the outflow. Usually by the time they are 4 weeks old I am not putting anything in there since they don't seem to fall in anymore like the day olds do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by